From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Related Categories: San Francisco | Health, Housing & Public Services | Labor & Workers | Racial JusticeView other events for the week of 1/17/2016
|San Francisco March for Tech Diversity and Equity (updated with address)|
|Date||Sunday January 17|
|Time||4:30 PM - 6:30 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
5th and Minna street
San Francisco CA
This march is in conjunction with #96hours of direct action to reclaim king's radical legacy.
This march is an opportunity to open connections between tech equity, diversity, and investing in our communities. We see ongoing redlining in all of our seats of power - banking, wall street, housing, media, but especially internet and tech sector. This a non violent and arrest-free march for anyone who wants a change in the tech world with regards to diversity. This march is a demand for equality in investment, the workplace, open source, hiring, and education at all levels. It will be coordinated with other actions relating to police violence, houselessness, immigration, and gentrification. We believe that our struggles of race and gender equality in tech are deeply connected to other issues that we face in our cities.
Why we are in the streets:
* Because folks in mid-market are losing their homes to wealthy tech companies
* Because Apple Computer refuses and stonewalls to get diversity in their overwhelmingly white upper management
* Because through tax dodges of tech companies, poor kids in schools San Francisco, East Palo Alto, Oakland and Richmond are locked out of access and opportunity
* Because there are thousands of silent Ellen Pao's in the Bay Area
* Because the high tech surveillance state is tied into mass incarceration
* Because we DEMAND diversity and equity and equal pay in hiring and promotion and entreprenuership!
* Post your own reason on this event!
If you are come as a tech worker, this march will also be in solidarity for all other labor being gentrified and jailed and killed by the forces of economic inequality in San Francisco.
When: Sunday 17th, 4:30pm
Where: Downtown SF, route TBD; will go by major tech companies and meet with a public concert for mlk actions
Bring banners and signs and art projects!
See also: #96hours of direct action event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1637988586490486/
Anti Police Terrorism Project: https://www.facebook.com/Anti-Police-Terror-Project-513658562107268/
Liberating Ourselves Locally, a gender balanced and POC led Hacker/makerspace in Oakland! https://www.facebook.com/LOL-Oakland-Maker-Space-293135707395680/?fref=ts