View other events for the week of 10/22/2009
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Vegetarian Cooking Class - Knife Skills 101|
|Date||Thursday October 22|
|Time||6:30 PM - 9:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
Green Home Center
1812 Polk St.
San Francisco, CA
Knife Skills 101 in San Francisco
Our popular class returns! (Those who took our first Knife Skills class will be interested in our Knife Skills 102 class the following week. Details will be up soon).
In this informative and interactive class, students will not only learn basic knife skills (what type of knife you need, how to hold your knife, how to protect and sharpen your knife), but also how to master various cutting techniques to make cooking easy, fast, and enjoyable. Each student will have the opportunity to test out what they learn and will also enjoy a cooking demonstration by our instructor, using the veggies we cut up (Vegetable Stir-Fry with Peanut Sauce).
Students will learn an introduction to knife skills as well as the fundamentals for cutting various vegetables, including:
* Anatomy of a Knife
* What Kind of Knife Do I Need?
* Proper Work Station/Best Type of Cutting Board
* Storing Your Knife
* Holding Your Knife
* Learning 'The Claw' (The Guiding Hand)
* Ensuring Safety: Keeping Your Knife Sharp
* Squaring Off
* How to Seed and Julienne Bell Peppers
* How to Dice, Half-Moon, and Slice Onions (Without Crying)
* How to Peel and Mince Ginger and Garlic
* How to Chiffonade Fresh Herbs
* How to Julienne, Roll-Cut, Diagonal-Cut, and 'Square Off' Carrots
* How to Create Broccoli Florets and Discover the Tender Stalks
* How to Clean, Slice, and Dice Mushrooms
* How to Chop Nuts
Students are welcome to bring their own knives to get our expert opinion about the efficacy (or lack thereof) of this essential kitchen tool.
LOCATION: Green Home Center 1812 Polk St. San Francisco, but register through Compassionate Cooks - NOT the Green Home Center. Register at http://www.compassionatecooks.com/reg.htm or send a check to Compassionate Cooks P.O. Box 18512 Oakland, CA 94619.
DATE AND TIME: Thursday, October 22nd, 6:30-9:00 p.m. Space is limited, so register today! $55.
INSTRUCTOR: Chef Rebecca Frye will be conducting this class.