From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay FeatureRelated Categories: East Bay | Police State & Prisons
Kate Harrison - Only the Best.
The truth about police training and Urban Shield.
Kate Harrison – Only the Best.
A Brief History of Police Training in Berkeley.
- Kate Harrison isn't against all police training... She's against dumb police training.[i]
- Kate Harrison thought that the training provided by the existing Urban Shield wasn't good enough when it comes to the kinds of emergencies Berkeley is most likely to face.
- Kate Harrison evaluated Urban Shield 2017 and came to the same conclusion that the Alameda County Board of Supervisors did when they voted to end Urban Shield "as it is currently constituted," in March of 2018; she just got to that decision before they did.
- Kate Harrison wants our police to train WITH fire teams and WITH medical personnel, not off by themselves in unrealistic scenarios as has been done in every exercise at past Urban Shield events.
- That's why Kate Harrison worked long and hard for a year on a City Council committee with the Mayor and other Councilors to evaluate how our police force was being trained.
- Kate Harrison thinks we should and can have one of the best-trained police forces in the country, tuned for the community they serve - and that can happen if they can receive training for Berkeley's emergencies and the natural disasters Berkeley will face; but it's not going to happen if we continue to rely, as we are, on Urban Shield training as it is exists now.
- Kate Harrison wants a police force that protects and serves, and works for all of us.
[i] "I am not opposed to all wars. I'm opposed to dumb wars." - Barack Obama