Every attempt has been made by IHSS PA staff to keep severely disabled clients disempowered and misinformed about their rights within the IHSS PA system. It took 6 months of persistent calling and emailing with over half a dozen staff members (who all work in the same office) before someone would disclose when these /public/ meetings were held.
Issues addressed in the statement were:
- The grievance form at IHSS PA has a 20 day response time and ends up in a generic email, with no phone extension or name. It took many months to even get a copy of this form
- There are no counselors or support people to assist clients who have sexually, physically, or psychologically abused by a home care provider. Only very recently were providers even required to be finger-printed.
- issues with the provider lists (only 5 names given ever 3-4 days), many providers do not return calls, flake, etc. many providers in the system don't even actively work for IHSS work anymore.
- providers are only paid minimum wage $14/hr and are severely limited by how they can assist. They are given minimal (usually only 1 hour) time to help clients to doctors appointments. They can't even assist clients to the public meetings.
- issues with the mentorship program. This program is to support clients who have difficulty hiring. This program denies services such as helping a client with hand mobility challenges to text or post an ad at a coffee shop. It is in direct contradiction to how the program is advertised.
- plus much more.
Get involved! Come share your stories at the next pubic meeting or reach out and work with fellow clients in the system by contacting the email here.
Meeting dates in 2018:
Email revoltrightnow [[a t]] gmail [[dot]]*com for more info.