Related Categories: Santa Cruz Indymedia | Arts + Action | Health, Housing & Public Services | Media Activism & Independent Media | Womyn
Santa Cruz Sentinel Reporter Leaves Questionable Voicemail
by Tannery Concerned
Friday Jul 29th, 2016 4:09 PM
A phone call from a Santa Cruz Sentinel staff reporter left a sting and insulted a friend of the mother of Maddy Middleton this week.
He left his name and intention and the phone message is included with more.
This was the year anniversary of the tragedy that happened last year at Tannery.
"Hi Toni this is Stephen Baxter. Just between you and me, and having nothing to do with the story, I just wanted to let you know that you're a terrible person. You're an awful person, and I have heard so much between last year and this year about the things that you've done. To enable Laura with, ya know, her drinking problem. About punching Mike Middleton's brother outside of the funeral by a guy who said he was your husband. And the money that was raised afterwards, if you partook in that, shame on you. Just everything you've done and how you've handled this, you've been a friend to Laura for all the wrong reasons. I wish I could do a story about all that. But I just wanted to let you know that I am aware of all that. And I don't know how you sleep at night so shame on you"
§Audio
by via Facebook Friday Jul 29th, 2016 4:26 PM
Attention!!!

Stephen Baxter of the #scsentinel is harassing friends and family members of Madyson Middleton and Laura Jordan, all because they refuse to give him a story or an interview. The following is a recording of a voicemail left by Stephen Baxter on Toni Riley phone one year to the day of Maddy's murder.

Know where your news comes from!!!

Know that members of the Santa Cruz media endlessly harass and shame the family members of local murder victims, when all the families want is to be able to grieve and heal in their own way, unpublicized and privately without having the greatest tragedies of their lives turned into sound bites for consumption on the evening news. They've behavior in this deplorable manner for years and hurt many peoples lives, I am posting this as a small piece of evidence of their "tactics"

All of this venom toward a selfless hero of a woman who was a rock for all of Maddy's extended family and friends, but mostly her mother Laura, in the days and weeks after we lost Maddy. Toni has never been anything but a godsend and in this message you'll hear how she's verbally abused as a horrible person who aides in "Laura's drinking problem" as if it's up to some random reporter to pass judgement on how often the mother of a dead child, drinks. This is disgusting. Stop media abuse of families. Please share and comment and spread the word that the #sentinel and #stephenbaxter are the sort of trash we refuse in Santa Cruz especially in the wake of a tragedy that's been so heartbreaking for all. Baxter also called Laura on this one year anniversary to once again beg for an interview. Laura then begged me to do something to stop this abuse, so here it is.

LEAVE THESE WOMEN ALONE!

I've included a transcript of every word this man hurled against my friend. PLEASE SHARE! Let Maddy rest in peace!

§Stephen Baxter
by Staff Friday Jul 29th, 2016 4:28 PM
stephenbaxtersantacruzsentinel.png
Stephen Baxter, Santa Cruz Sentinel
The Sentinel is hiringPRNewswireSunday Aug 14th, 2016 11:06 PM
Stephen Baxter is Gone from the Santa Cruz SentinelLater BroSunday Aug 14th, 2016 9:05 PM
Truth hurtsSC NativeSunday Jul 31st, 2016 1:25 PM
Stephen Baxter is: Relentlessly Rude, Hurtful, Invasive, Careless, and MaliciousThought you should knowSunday Jul 31st, 2016 9:42 AM
Stephen Baxter: "You're a terrible person, you're an awful person"Fire Baxter NowSunday Jul 31st, 2016 9:30 AM
Fire Stephen BaxterAngry Santa CruzSaturday Jul 30th, 2016 11:10 PM
About Stephen Baxter of the Santa Cruz SentinelRylanSaturday Jul 30th, 2016 11:06 PM
Is Mr Baxter alleging Toni stole $$ from the Middletons?doesn't make senseSaturday Jul 30th, 2016 9:58 PM
Santa Cruz wants Stephen Baxter Firedfor his disgusting behaviorSaturday Jul 30th, 2016 9:22 AM
A lukewarm apology doesn't cancel out his disgusting behaviorStand Up Fight Back!Saturday Jul 30th, 2016 9:17 AM