From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Related Categories: Santa Cruz Indymedia | Health, Housing & Public Services | Police State & PrisonsView other events for the week of 5/23/2016
|Santa Cruz-Statewide Coordinated Actions To End Solitary Confinement|
|Date||Monday May 23|
|Time||12:00 PM - 2:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
|110 Cooper St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060|
|Organizer/Author||Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity|
Santa Cruz-Statewide Coordinated Actions To End Solitary Confinement (Mon. May 23, 2016 and 23rd of every month, 12-2 pm, outreach & rally)Added to the calendar on Sunday May 22nd, 2016 11:12 AM
corner of Pacific Ave. and Cooper St. (gps 110 Cooper St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060)
11:30 am - set up
12 noon – signs and outreach. Sign letters opposing sleep deprivation torture of people locked up in CA solitary units. Get involved in the movement to end solitary confinement and mass incarceration.
12:30-2:00 pm - rally & speak-out.
Readers’ Theater: We will read the voices of people
· currently and formerly locked up in solitary confinement (including youth in “room confinement”)
· being awakened by guards every 30 - 60 minutes day and night in CA solitary confinement units:
* in Central CA Women’s Facility Administrative Segregation death row since May 18, 2014
* in Pelican Bay Security Housing Unit (SHU) since August 2, 2015
· May 10, 2016 Colorado Legislature passed bill to protect youth under 21 years of age from solitary confinement. [http://aclu-co.org/colorado-legislature-passes-bill-protect-children-solitary-confinement/]
· May 3, 2016 the Board of Supervisors permanently banned juvenile solitary confinement in L.A. County, the nation's largest juvenile justice system. [http://file.lacounty.gov/bos/supdocs/103422.pdf]
· Senator Mark Leno’s CA Senate Bill 1143 to define and limit to 4 hours solitary confinement (“room confinement”) in juvenile facilities [http://www.pjdc.org/2016/03/probation-chiefs-and-youth-advocates-partner-on-legislation-to-address-room-confinement-in-juvenile-facilities/]
Sing along with “23 Hours” written and sung by Sarah Torres (Audio clip https://app.box.com/s/3h2rvu4wsvvyfqm6hyyx53ko203jtzry)
The California prisoners’ 2012 Agreement to End Hostilities between racial/ethnic and geographic groups made possible the CA Prisoner Hunger Strike of 2013 by over 30,000 CA prisoners and 100's more nationwide. Prisoners' human rights organizing has built a powerful movement and led to the historic 2015 settlement ending indefinite solitary confinement in CA. It appears CDCR is attempting to prevent effective human rights work by prisoners in solitary by instituting a debilitating and internationally-condemned torture technique: sleep deprivation.
Email officials to STOP the “security/welfare checks" http://tinyurl.com/ztjcos3
Organizations: WRITE A STATEMENT condemning the sleep deprivation torture. Sample letter here http://wp.me/P1BB1k-2r9
More info: phssreachingout [at] gmail.com 510.426.5322
Facebook Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity
Go to “Sleep Deprivation” at prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com (Sleep Expert Reports, Media Articles, Videos, Personal Testimonies, Attorney Reports, Scientific Articles, Letters in Opposition).