View other events for the week of 1/24/2016
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|In partnership with Lehrhaus Judaica: Jewish Life in an Era of Extremism|
|Date||Sunday January 24|
|Time||1:00 PM - 5:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
Osher Marin JCC
200 N. San Pedro Road
San Rafael, CA 94903
|Organizer/Author||Osher Marin JCC|
Join us for a symposium to confront vexing issues with candid, far ranging discussion from a variety of viewpoints. Many people have the impression that the world is filled with new threats to Jewish life. These threats are most visible in France and the Middle East, and less so elsewhere. Still, this mounting antagonism intersects with anti-Zionism and has increasingly taken on features reminiscent of old-style political anti-Semitism. And the resonance of militant Islam, felt not only in the Middle East but also in Europe and beyond, has added another unsettling dimension to this picture. According to some, the landscape will likely worsen.
Special Presentation by Joby Warrick, Pulitzer Prize winning author of Black Flags: The Rise of ISIS
Keynotes, Workshops, and Panel
Abigail Michelson Porth, JCRC: The Bay Area
Gunda Trepp, author: How Germany is Confronting Extremism Today
Fred Rosenbaum, Lehrhaus: France: Freedom and Anxiety
Prof. Eran Kaplan, SFSU: Extremism in Israel
Prof. Fred Astren, SFSU
Rachel Eryn Kalish, Workplace Connections
Rabbi Peretz Wolf-Prusan, Lehrhaus
Some questions we will address:
* How legitimate are claims of rising anti-Semitism?
* What is the relationship between anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism Europe, the Middle East, and in the United States?
* How concerned should we be with extremism in the Jewish world, and in particular in Israel and the West Bank?
* Does Jewish extremism have an impact on how Jews are seen and on the future stability of the Jewish State?
* How potent are voices of moderation and to what extent have they been marginalized?
Pre-registration is strongly encouraged. Register here: http://catalog.lehrhaus.org/course/2016/winter/X500-OMJ/
Co-sponsors: Congregations Kol Shofar and Rodef Sholom, and Brandeis Marin
Supporters: Eda and Joseph Pell, Ingrid D. Tauber Philanthropic Fund of the JCF, and Koret Foundation
Free. Pre-registration is strongly encouraged.