top
Newswire
Calendar
Features
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay Feature
Related Categories: Santa Cruz Indymedia | Arts + Action | Global Justice & Anti-Capitalism | Health, Housing & Public Services | Police State & Prisons View other events for the week of 1/26/2016
Food Not Bombs Co-Founder Keith McHenry Faces New Criminal Charges for His Work to Defend the Rights of the Poor
Date Tuesday January 26
Time 10:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Location Details
Department 1 - Superior Court of Santa Cruz County, California
701 Ocean St, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Event Type Other
Organizer/AuthorKeith McHenry
Emailkeith [at] foodnotbombs.net
FOOD NOT BOMBS CO-FOUNDER KEITH McHENRY FACES NEW CRIMINAL CHARGES FOR HIS WORK TO DEFEND THE RIGHTS OF THE POOR


Food Not Bombs co-founder Keith McHenry is facing three misdemeanor charges in Santa Cruz Superior Court as a result of his work to defend the rights of the poor. The original case stemmed from an action where McHenry replaced 33 "blue artist boxes" on Pacific Avenue that had been removed by the city. On December 8th, Santa Cruz District Attorney Archie Webber told the court that a warrant had been issued for Mr. McHenry's arrest in a new case where he has been charged with "offensive words" under California Penal Code 415(3). The other new misdemeanor was 'Failure to obey a police officer' who claims he told McHenry to use a cross walk at City Hall at midnight during the Freedom Sleepers protest. Santa Cruz City Council member, Cynthia Chase, City Redevelopment Manager, Julie Hendee and two others came together to observe Keith McHenry and Abbi Samuel's December 8th court hearing. A hearing on the three misdemeanor cases was held on Wednesday, December 16th in Department 1 in Superior Court before Judge Paul Burdick. The District Attorney Webber offered a plea where McHenry would plead guilty to vandalism and have all other charges dropped. Mr. Weber told the court that if McHenry agreed to do this he would do two months in jail which the judge said could be work release. The DA also said the offer would include a years stay away from Pacific Avenue Mall and Assistant City Manager Scott Collins which would make it impossible for McHenry to continue protesting the city's anti-homeless laws. The offer makes it clear that city officials believe it important to silence McHenry's effective work in bringing attention to the criminal actions taken by the city against its poor. The next important court hearing will be held on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 10:00 AM.Please show your support by attending the hearings.

FREE SANTA CRUZ

CALL 1-800-884-1136 TO GET INVOLVED
800_846_400_santa-cruz-food-not-bombs-keith-mchenry.jpg
Added to the calendar on Friday Dec 18th, 2015 5:43 PM
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the latest comments about this post.
These comments are submitted anonymously by website visitors.
TITLE AUTHOR DATE
Any new reports...Robert NorseMonday Dec 28th, 2015 9:12 AM
questionsaverySunday Dec 20th, 2015 7:56 AM
I don't play well with...Razer RaySaturday Dec 19th, 2015 4:32 PM
Razer--if Keith stayed at a Holiday iNN in peru you'd shit a brick as wellobservationSaturday Dec 19th, 2015 3:32 PM
Is sitting in 24 hour 'commercial establishments' more pure?GSaturday Dec 19th, 2015 10:18 AM
Was just reading...Razer RaySaturday Dec 19th, 2015 8:54 AM
Grounds for a civil counter-suit?GSaturday Dec 19th, 2015 5:25 AM
What would it take to convict the DA of malicious prosecution?GSaturday Dec 19th, 2015 4:53 AM