View other events for the week of 12/16/2015
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Photography for Activists II|
|Date||Wednesday December 16|
|Time||7:00 PM - 9:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
San José Peace and Justice Center
48 South 7th Street
San José, CA 95112
Bus routes: 22, 522, 23, 11, 63, 64, 72, 73, 81, Hwy 17 Express, MST 55, Dash, LRT
|Organizer/Author||San José Peace and Justice Center|
|sjpjc [at] sanjosepeace.org|
|Address||48 South 7th Street, San Jose, CA 95112|
Social injustice, grassroots resistance to injustice, and the building of alternatives need to be documented for all to know.
This class covers the basics of what every activist needs to know from tips on getting your message photographed to the special requirements of documentary photography to optimizing photos for print and the Web.
Photography for Activists II is an upgraded class that will use case studies to solve practical challenges in documentary photography.
Sharat G. Lin has published over a thousand photographs, documented epic events from local police misconduct to popular upheaval in Tahrir Square to the melting of the Greenland ice sheet.
* Why every activist should be a photographer
* Behind the lens: document it!
* In front of the lens: getting your message across
* Viewing perspective
* Seek high ground
* Background / Foreground / Superposition
* Color / Brightness / Contrast
* Focus / Depth of field
* Context: Spatial, temporal, conceptual
* Case studies: How to do it!
* Photos for the Web versus for print
* Handling adverse conditions / motion / low light / artifacts / risks
* Video and burst modes in still photography
Open to the public | Suggested donation: $10