From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Related Categories: East Bay | Global Justice & Anti-Capitalism | Government & Elections | Health, Housing & Public Services | Labor & Workers | Police State & Prisons | Racial JusticeView other events for the week of 6/10/2015
|Oakland #OurBudgetOurCity DAY of ACTION!!!|
|Date||Wednesday June 10|
|Time||8:00 AM - 9:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
8am - Telegraph Ave. and West Macarthur Blvd
11am - Oakland City Hall
3:30pm - Oakland City Hall
4:30pm - Steps of Oakland City Hall
7pm - 14th and Broadway
In just a few short weeks the Mayor & City Council will be negotiating a budget that impacts the lives of thousands of Oakland residents, families and workers across our city. Yet the Mayor’s budget does not include the resources needed to protect tenants, to ensure our city’s Minimum Wage is enforced, to collect badly needed revenue our city needs to run and honor the public employees who have given back year after year to share the burden of the economic downturn. Instead, our Mayor is spending time silencing the voices of citizens exercising their right to protest while wasting badly needed resources that could be reinvested into our communities. Join us in the fight to REFUND and REINVEST in Oakland!
Here is the AGENDA for the day:
8am: Join tenants to demand the city reinvest in Healthy Housing! Location: Corner of Telegraph Ave. and West Macarthur Blvd.
11am: Justice for low-wage workers! Join fast food workers & community members calling on the City to enforce the Minimum Wage! Location: Oakland City Hall
3:30pm: ReInvest in Public Services! Join residents as they call on the City to reinvest resources to fix our roads and address illegal dumping in the flatlands! Location: Oakland City Hall
4:30pm: Press Event @ the Steps of Oakland City Hall to call for a Budget that ReInvests in Oakland!
7 PM: Take back our streets! The new curfew can’t stop us from holding space in the streets. Location: 14th and Broadway.
- Reinvesting in Tenants & Housing: Enforcing the Tenant Protection Ordinance & adequately staffing city housing inspectors
- Reinvesting in Workers: Enforcing Minimum Wage & Paid Sick Days & making sure there are resources for the city’s most vulnerable workers including fast food and day laborers
- Reinvesting in Equity: Supporting the creation of a Department of Race & Equity
- Reinvesting in Public Services: Ensuring that flatland communities get the services they need by working toward a fair contract that gives our city workers the pay, rights & respect they deserve
- Reinvesting in responsible development: Public land for the public good & ensuring that communities benefit from the rise in development taking place in our city
Background on ReFund Oakland:
The ReFund & ReBuild Oakland Community-Labor Coalition representing over 15 labor, community and faith groups has been focused on building a broad based agenda to ensure big banks, large corporations and our elected officials reinvest in working families, communities of color and neighborhoods impacted by inequity, displacement and under-representation.
In 2013 ReFund groups came together and, alongside a 1 day strike organized by city unions, helped to push a budget that prioritized public services and an agenda that reinvested in working class families and communities of color across the city.