View other events for the week of 5/19/2015
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|West Berkeley Community Forum|
|Date||Tuesday May 19|
|Time||6:30 PM - 9:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
1819 10th Street (between Hearst and Delaware)
|Event Type||Panel Discussion|
West Berkeley Forum
Sponsered by the
Berkeley Neighborhoods Council
Following up on our very successful April 8, 2015, Forum at the Berkeley Media Center, the Berkeley Neighborhoods Council invites you to a community forum to discuss responses to the city’s construction and development plans.
The purpose of the meeting will be to foster discussion among members of the community and to affirm the necessity of the community having a voice in these developments
a form of “modification-power”
“We’re not against development. But it should be development in which people have a say, a voice in the process, more than a mere minute in a hearing. It should not be imposed from above, nor destroy a community’s style of life.”
A West Berkeley community member
NO CONSTRUCTION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION
Some of the the impacts these plans will have on our community:
• The loss of commercial establishments,
• The loss of low-rent housing,
• The loss of community style of life,
• Traffic jams, and big parking problems.
The following speakers will discuss the City’s overall development plans, and the impact these plans will have on our neighborhoods.
• Carol Johnson – Berkeley City Planning Dept.
• Patrick Sheahan – former Planning Commissioner and West Berkeley resident
• Kate Stepanski – Oceanview volunteer and grassroots organizer
• Ed Herzog – West Berkeley resident and community organizer
Berkeley Neighborhoods Council http://www.berkeleyneighborhoodscouncil.org