View other events for the week of 1/31/2015
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Brunch at HRC store: Queer 99% to protest gay 1%|
|Date||Saturday January 31|
|Time||12:00 PM - 1:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
575 Castro Street
San Francisco, CA
|commissionermnathan [at] gmail.com|
Brunch At HRC's Castro Store: Queer 99% to Protest the LGBT 1%
Queer social justice advocates will converge on the Human Rights Campaign's souvenir store on Castro Street in San Francisco on Saturday, Jan. 31, at noon in solidarity with ACT UP/New York's protest on the same date outside HRC's gala at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Manhattan.
The Bay Area advocates are upset with HRC for the following reasons:
- No concern for needs of poor and low income LGBT people
- No agenda promoting construction of affordable housing, a living wage and access to higher education
- No action response to the national outcry against police killing Black, Brown & Transgender people.
- No global gay plan that respects the work of local LGBT folks and group's working on international issues
- No incorporation of progressive and economic justice concerns in HRC's Corporate Equality Index
ACT UP/New York is calling on HRC to address HIV related matters including workplace discrimination and preventing new infections.
In San Francisco, activists will be at HRC's store at 575 Castro Street on Jan. 31 from noon till 1:00 pm. Light brunch nibbles will be available.
There will be a speak out at Harvey Milk's old camera shop from the queer 99% about social and economic justice, with a special focus on fully embracing the Black Lives Matter movement.
Among the endorsers and organizers of the West Coast action are Veronika Fimbres, African-American trans leader; Tommi Avicolli Mecca, housing rights advocate; Melanie Nathan, global LGBT organizer; and Michael Petrelis, HIV positive activist.
Please join us!