View other events for the week of 9/28/2014
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Eyewitness Fukushima: John Steinbach|
|Date||Sunday September 28|
|Time||7:00 PM - 9:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
Berkeley Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists’ Hall
1924 Bonita (@Cedar) , Berkeley http://www.bfuu.org
John Steinbach, veteran antinuclear activist and Co-Coordinator of the Hiroshima/Nagasaki Peace Committee has just returned from from Fukushima Prefecture in Japan where he and Kio Kanda traveled hundreds of miles interviewing activists, taking photos and videos, and measuring radioactivity levels. They ventured well inside the 12km exclusion around the Fukushima Daichi reactors as guests of residents of the village of Namie, located about 4 miles from the ruins of the nuclear complex.
During the visit, they took over 100 photos and videos and spoke with dozens of activists and residents of Fukushima.
Among their findings:
* Background radiation levels recorded throughout Fukushima prefecture three to ten times higher than Tokyo background;
* Isolated radiation readings 35,000 times Tokyo background level were recorded scores of miles from the reactor site;
* Victimized decontamination workers;
* Official neglect and coverup;
* Courageous local activists;
* Communities working together.
Following the presentation there will be a discussion.
Sponsored by the BFUU Social Justice Committee.
Suggested donation $5-10
For occasional email notices of peace/eco/social justice alerts and related events at BFUU, send any email to:
bfuusjev-subscribe [at] lists.riseup.net
For weekly notices of BFUU services etc. go to: