View other events for the week of 8/ 1/2014
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|From the UK to the Bay Area Sex Workers Win Justice and the Right to Work Safely|
|Date||Friday August 01|
|Time||6:30 PM - 9:30 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
518 Valencia Street
San Francisco, (Nr 16th St BART)
|uspros [at] prostitutescollective.net|
|Phone||415 626 4114|
|Address||PO Box 14512, SF. CA 94114|
Guest speaker: Niki Adams, English Collective of Prostitutes. Also, Alexandra Berliner, Legal Services for Prisoners with Children; Rachel West, US PROStitutes Collective
Speakers will address:
• How UK sex workers won against mass raids and closures instigated by police and property developers attempting to take over the historic red-light district of Soho, central London, England. This is a crucial victory for the SF Bay Area to know about, as many of us face speculators, evictions and gentrification.
• The impact on sex workers’ safety of the recent FBI closure of Redbook, an online advertising venue.
• The ground breaking victory winning compensation for rape for sex workers who were previously excluded from the California Victim Compensation Program.
• A challenge by formerly incarcerated people (FIPs) to end discrimination in compensation for rape and domestic violence, problems with the compensation program including the system of restitution. Many sex workers are FIPs and vice versa.
• A successful campaign against increased criminalization of sex work: Bill SB 1388.
• Stop the War on the Poor Campaign: how it strengthens our struggle for survival and against criminalization. Next steps and how you can be involved.
Called by: In Defense of Prostitute Women's Safety, a project of US PROStitutes Collective and Legal Action for Women
Endorsed by: All of Us or None; California Coalition for Women Prisoners; Erotic Service Providers Union; Legal Services for Prisoners with Children; Queer Strike; Global Women's Strike/Bay Area; Sin Barras