From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
View other events for the week of 11/ 5/2013
Import this event into your personal calendar.
Alameda County Needs a New DA and Sheriff!
Tuesday November 05
South Berkeley Senior Center (just a few blocks from the Ashby Bart)
2939 Ellis Street
|Email Address||represent4tp [at] gmail.com|
Representation for the People, a coalition of East Bay activists, is sponsoring this town hall meeting. The coalition opposes the policies and actions of Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O'Malley and Sheriff Greg Ahern. These elected officials continue to run unopposed yet espouse policies and views that progressives find unacceptable. The coalition is therefore organizing to explore ways of getting rid of our sheriff and district attorney.
There will be speakers at this event and the public is invited to provide input. Please mark your calendar and bring a friend. The senior center is located near the Ashby Bart station.
Just a few things a new District Attorney could do:
- Investigations into wage theft, abuses by creditors, foreclosure fraud and environmental crimes.
- Voice support for improved crime labs, removal of police from schools
- Refusal of prosecution for drug possession or use.
- Voice opposition to curfews, arrests of school children, solitary confinement of children.
- Independent investigations of police misconduct.
- Keeping costs down by not keeping low level offenders in jail awaiting prosecution decisions
Just a few things a new Sheriff could do:
- No cooperation on ICE raids and no use of ICE holds.
- Abandon the pursuit of the acquisition of drones.
- Refusal to participate in homeowner evictions.
- Keeping costs down by using 'cite and release' to keep low-level offenders out of jail
- An independent, unbiased Coroner's Office.
For more event information:
Added to the calendar on Friday Oct 25th, 2013 9:19 AM
- Wilson Riles: Former Oakland Councilperson, speaking on the importance of electoral political to a progressive agenda.
- Dan Siegel: Civil Rights Attorney, speaking on the violations of civil rights that the current District Attorney and Sheriff routinely commit.
- Brooke Anderson: Labor activist, arrested October 25th, 2011. Spent many hours in horrible conditions in the Santa Rita Jail (which the Sheriff is wholly responsible for)
- Reverend Buford: Pastor at the Allan Temple Baptist Church.