Come learn practical concepts and skills to welcome, include and mediate/facilitate diverse groups of people, styles, and perspectives. This 6 part class include ample small and large group activities to gain more familiarity, comfort and facility with various key diversity issues. Learn an expanded model of diversity awareness based on the Process Work of Arnold Mindell.
Diversity Awareness for Mediators and Conflict & Group Facilitators
With Bill Say, M.A.
6 Wednesday Evenings 6:30-9pm starting October 16
As facilitators and mediators, an important part of what we are mediating and facilitating is our human diversity and the complex rank and privilege dynamics associated with those differences.
This experiential training includes key diversity awareness concepts, practical tools, awareness development work, and small and large group sessions to give you ample opportunities to practice, learn, explore, discuss and grow.
* Participants will learn how to create more inclusive and welcoming environments
* Mediators will learn practical ways to detect and reduce bias
* Participants will be better able to intervene in groups and mediations when bias or other diversity issues arise
* Participants will learn how rank and privilege influence conflict, communication, and relationships
* Participants will become more comfortable talking about diversity issues
* Participants will be better able to analyze and understand relationship tensions and conflicts related to human differences
Bill Say, M.A., has over twenty years experience with diversity awareness training, group facilitation, community capacity building, and conflict facilitation. His organizational consulting and training experience is with health, mental health, and educational organizations in the US and abroad including with the Highlander Research and Education Center, UN refugee health organizations in the Middle East (UNRWA), New Energy in China and Independent Thought and Social Action in India. His diversity awareness approach is based in the Process Work of Arnold Mindell. Bill is a faculty member of the UC Berkeley Extension School of Professional Communication. His website is: http://www.billsay.com
Wednesdays October 16-November 20
Fee: $345, partial scholarships available
Location: Berkeley Adult School, 1701 San Pablo Ave., Berkeley http://www.seedscrc.org/who-we-serve/individuals/training-for-individuals/
Questions? Call Anne Hillsley 510-548-2377 or anne [at] seedscrc.org