View other events for the week of 7/30/2013
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Bradley Manning Verdict Convergence|
|Date||Tuesday July 30|
|Time||5:00 PM - 5:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
Powell and Market
From: Michael Thurman
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2013 3:07 PM
Subject: ALERT! Bradley Manning Verdict Convergence Tomorrow at Market and Powell st San Francisco at 5pm. Forward and Spread the Word!
ALERT! Bradley Manning's verdict comes down at 1:00pm ET tomorrow. Convergence Tomorrow, Tuesday July 30th, at Market and Powell st San Francisco at 5pm. Forward, Invite Friends and Spread the Word!
Judge Lind recently refused to dismiss the government’s aiding the enemy charge, which if found guilty could result in life in prison for Manning, the US Army soldier who was arrested in 2010 in Iraq on suspicion of having passed classified material to the website Wikileaks. Lind also unfairly favored prosecutors last week by allowing them to present new evidence after they had officially closed their case. Furthermore, this evidence was in the form of unsupported testimony by Manning’s former direct supervisor, who'd been disciplined for making homophobic remarks to him. Defense attorney David Coombs explained in his legal filings last week, “The Government has pushed this case beyond the bounds of legal propriety. If the Government meant ‘information’, it should have charged information.” http://www.bradleymanning.org/featured/manning-judge-alters-charges-to-assist-govt-ahead-of-verdict
Major General Jeffery S. Buchanan is the Convening Authority for Manning’s court martial, which means that he has the authority to decrease Manning’s sentence, no matter what the judge decides. Demand he do the right thing by calling, faxing, and e-mailing his Public Affairs Office.
The convening authority can reduce the sentence after the Judge makes her ruling. Let's Remind Maj. General Buchanan:
• that Bradley was held for nearly a year in abusive solitary confinement, which the UN torture chief called “cruel, inhuman, and degrading”
• that President Obama has unlawfully influenced the trial with his declaration of Bradley Manning's guilt.
• that the media has been continually blocked from transcripts and documents related to the trial and that it has only been through the efforts of Bradley Manning's supporters that any transcripts exist.
• that under the UCMJ a soldier has the right to a speedy trial and that it was unconsciable to wait 3 years before starting the court martial.
• that absolutely no one was harmed by the release of documents that exposed war crimes, unnecessary secrecy and disturbing foreign policy.
• that Bradley Manning is a hero who did the right thing when he revealed truth about wars that had been based on lies.
Remind General Buchanan that Bradley Manning's rights have been trampled - Enough is enough!
Please help us reach all these important contacts:
Adrienne Combs, Deputy Officer Public Affairs (202) 685-2900 adrienne.m.combs.civ [at] mail.mil
Col. Michelle Martin-Hing, Public Affairs Officer (202) 685-4899 michelle.l.martinhing.mil [at] mail.mil
The Public Affairs Office fax #: 202-685-0706
Try e-mailing Maj. Gen. Buchanan at jeffrey.s.buchanan [at] us.army.mil
The Public Affairs Office is required to report up the chain of command the number of calls they receive on a particular issue, so please help us flood the office with support for whistleblower Bradley Manning today!