View other events for the week of 1/ 5/2013
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|IDLE NO MORE! Flashmob Dance|
|Date||Saturday January 05|
|Time||2:00 PM - 5:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
Oscar Grant Plaza
Broadway & 14th Street
SPECIAL CALL TO ALL NATIVE DANCERS AND SINGERS! Please come with your drums, regalia, and songs in honor and prayerful support of Chief Spence and First Nation peoples.
We will arrange for any gifts and offerings for Chief Theresa Spence to get to her.
“Idle No More calls on all people to join in a revolution which honors and fulfills Indigenous sovereignty which protects the land and water. Colonization continues through attacks to Indigenous rights and damage to the land and water. We must repair these violations, live the spirit and intent of the treaty relationship, work towards justice in action, and protect Mother Earth.” — #IdleNoMore
We humbly request that you turn to your elders and ask for their blessing and prayers for the round dance.
Here are some guidelines:
• Remember that we will be in Ohlone territory.
• Assume that you are being videoed and photographed. If you do not wish to be, please let those with cameras know.
• Native drummers and singers will call you into the circle at 2:00 pm.
• Please watch out for one another, especially children and the elderly.
• Remember why we are there: to honor and pray for Chief Theresa Spence and to show our First Nation brothers and sisters in the north our support.
• We expect the police might run us off at some point. Please be calm, peaceful, and honorable in your conduct. We can always scatter and regroup or move to another location. We will take direction from the elders.
Wanishi (thank you).