top
East Bay
East Bay
Newswire
Calendar
Features
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay Feature
View other events for the week of 7/12/2012
The Paris Commune of 1871 - The Original Government of the 99%
Date Thursday July 12
Time 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Location Details
Berkeley City College Auditorium - 2050 Center St. Berkeley
Event Type Speaker
Organizer/AuthorJay
Emailspeakout-now [at] gmx.com
The Paris Commune of 1871 - The Original Government of the 99%

Come hear a presentation on the Paris Commune, by Anne Hansen, French postal worker and union militant. With the slogan, "We are the 99%", the Occupy movement asked - "What gives the top 1% the right to run everything in their interest? Why should the rest of us, the 99%, have to suffer the consequences of their decisions"? All over the U.S., thousands of people participated in demonstrations, meetings and occupations of public space. And in the process, people could begin to imagine a different world where the 99% decided our own fate. In 1871, the people of Paris engaged in their own version of "occupy" - the Paris Commune. But they didn't just protest. They created a new form of government - from the bottom up, where the 99% decided and acted in the interest of the majority. We can learn from these lessons of the past to create a new future. Anne will also talk about the current situation in France.

Sponsored by the Berkeley City College Global Studies Program and Speak Out Now!
commune.jpg
Added to the calendar on Tuesday Jun 12th, 2012 4:00 PM
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the latest comments about this post.
These comments are submitted anonymously by website visitors.
TITLE AUTHOR DATE
For More Laborfest Events like theseLove LaborfestWednesday Jul 11th, 2012 1:28 PM
The CommunemilesMonday Jul 9th, 2012 5:28 PM

We are 100% volunteer and depend on your participation to sustain our efforts!

Donate

donate now

$ 577.00 donated
in the past month

Get Involved

If you'd like to help with maintaining or developing the website, contact us.

Publish

Publish your stories and upcoming events on Indybay.

IMC Network