From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay Feature
Occupy SF Solidarity w/ Egypt Revolution
Occupy San Francisco held a demonstration is solidarity with Egyptian revolutionaries call for solidarity in the aftermath of the killing of many pro-revolution football fans last week. On Saturday February 4. Occupy SF activists marched from Bradley Manning (Justin Herman) Plaza to the UN Plaza where this photo was taken. For the second part of the march occupy activists joined a "No war with Iran" march.
We had been contacted by an Egyptian activist who had been to San Francisco last Fall. He said Egyptian activists were demanding:
* Hold Egypt's military Supreme Council responsible for killing and repressing Egyptian civilians and for crimes against humanity.
* Stop US billions in support for the Egyptian military
* Don't welcome members of the Egyptian military to the US (currently there are members being hosted by US in Florida) or allow them to hide money in US banks.
Here is more background from Ahram Online:
Mass march on parliament called for Friday in protest over football massacre
Ahram Online, Thursday 2 Feb 2012
A group of 28 revolutionary movements call for a mass march Friday to demand an immediate hand over of power to a civilian government, charging the military with complicity in Wednesday's football riots in Port Said
A group of 28 political parties and movements have called for a mass rally Friday at the Egyptian parliament, to demand MPs take definitive measures following the death of over 70 football fans in major riots that erupted Wednesday night in the city of Port Said.
As thousands of protesters marched Thursday afternoon for the same purpose, the group released a joint statement calling for another march on the parliament from the headquarters of El-Ahly Sports Club in the district of Gezira at 1pm. The statement, entitled "The blood of the revolutionary Ultras martyrs revives the revolution," holds the ruling military council and the current government led by Kamal El-Ganzouri fully responsible for the deadly clashes.
The statement further calls on the newly elected People's Assembly to assume political responsibility and undertake measures to counter "the recent deliberate and systematic acts of killing and instigating chaos for the aim of sabotaging and aborting the revolution," reiterating that the military council should hand over power to a civilian authority immediately.
The groups directly accused security forces of purposely facilitating the riots by not mobilising, not separating the sides, and not searching fans at the stadium gates, to prevent armed thugs from entering and infiltrating the stadium.
Furthermore, the statement cited recent incidents of armed robberies occurring in establishments normally under heavy security, such as banks, as part of a deliberate plot by the country's rulers aimed at spreading fear and insecurity among the public and falsely holding protesters responsible, in order to reverse public support for the revolution.
The groups also condemned the response of the Muslim Brotherhood, whose party dominates the People's Assembly, on the clashes, where the Brotherhood linked Wednesday's riots to clashes that took place between Muslim Brotherhood supporters and protesters in front of the People's Assembly earlier this week.
The statement described the Brotherhood's stance as another indicator that the Islamist group is gradually demonstrating "direct enmity" against the revolution's youth protesters.
Signatories to the statements include theApril 6 Youth Movement (Democratic Front), the People's Committees for the Defence of the Revolution, the Revolution Youth Coalition, the Union of Revolution Youth, the Coalition of Revolutionary Forces, Coptic activism group the Union of Maspero Youth, the Egyptians for Azhar Reform Movement, the Maspero State Television Revolutionaries, the Youth Movement for justice and Freedom, the National Front for Justice and Democracy, the Free Front for Peaceful Change, the Revolutionary Socialists, the Egyptian Current Party, and the socialist Popular Alliance Party.
Wednesday's Port Said riots have been dubbed one of the worst football riots in history. The People's Assembly held an emergency session Thursday in the presence of Prime Minister Ganzouri to tackle the aftermath of the riots. The military council announced a three-day period of national mourning starting Thursday. Many football teams and associations around the world sent their condolences over the events.
http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/33554.aspx
* Hold Egypt's military Supreme Council responsible for killing and repressing Egyptian civilians and for crimes against humanity.
* Stop US billions in support for the Egyptian military
* Don't welcome members of the Egyptian military to the US (currently there are members being hosted by US in Florida) or allow them to hide money in US banks.
Here is more background from Ahram Online:
Mass march on parliament called for Friday in protest over football massacre
Ahram Online, Thursday 2 Feb 2012
A group of 28 revolutionary movements call for a mass march Friday to demand an immediate hand over of power to a civilian government, charging the military with complicity in Wednesday's football riots in Port Said
A group of 28 political parties and movements have called for a mass rally Friday at the Egyptian parliament, to demand MPs take definitive measures following the death of over 70 football fans in major riots that erupted Wednesday night in the city of Port Said.
As thousands of protesters marched Thursday afternoon for the same purpose, the group released a joint statement calling for another march on the parliament from the headquarters of El-Ahly Sports Club in the district of Gezira at 1pm. The statement, entitled "The blood of the revolutionary Ultras martyrs revives the revolution," holds the ruling military council and the current government led by Kamal El-Ganzouri fully responsible for the deadly clashes.
The statement further calls on the newly elected People's Assembly to assume political responsibility and undertake measures to counter "the recent deliberate and systematic acts of killing and instigating chaos for the aim of sabotaging and aborting the revolution," reiterating that the military council should hand over power to a civilian authority immediately.
The groups directly accused security forces of purposely facilitating the riots by not mobilising, not separating the sides, and not searching fans at the stadium gates, to prevent armed thugs from entering and infiltrating the stadium.
Furthermore, the statement cited recent incidents of armed robberies occurring in establishments normally under heavy security, such as banks, as part of a deliberate plot by the country's rulers aimed at spreading fear and insecurity among the public and falsely holding protesters responsible, in order to reverse public support for the revolution.
The groups also condemned the response of the Muslim Brotherhood, whose party dominates the People's Assembly, on the clashes, where the Brotherhood linked Wednesday's riots to clashes that took place between Muslim Brotherhood supporters and protesters in front of the People's Assembly earlier this week.
The statement described the Brotherhood's stance as another indicator that the Islamist group is gradually demonstrating "direct enmity" against the revolution's youth protesters.
Signatories to the statements include theApril 6 Youth Movement (Democratic Front), the People's Committees for the Defence of the Revolution, the Revolution Youth Coalition, the Union of Revolution Youth, the Coalition of Revolutionary Forces, Coptic activism group the Union of Maspero Youth, the Egyptians for Azhar Reform Movement, the Maspero State Television Revolutionaries, the Youth Movement for justice and Freedom, the National Front for Justice and Democracy, the Free Front for Peaceful Change, the Revolutionary Socialists, the Egyptian Current Party, and the socialist Popular Alliance Party.
Wednesday's Port Said riots have been dubbed one of the worst football riots in history. The People's Assembly held an emergency session Thursday in the presence of Prime Minister Ganzouri to tackle the aftermath of the riots. The military council announced a three-day period of national mourning starting Thursday. Many football teams and associations around the world sent their condolences over the events.
http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/33554.aspx
Add Your Comments
Comments
(Hide Comments)
Here's some gratuitous violence to condemn. The murder of women and children inside a church by the Aegyptian Brotherhood, the catalyst of the so-called "Arab Spring". Coptic Christians have been relegated to the bottom of the caste system and had nothing to do with Mubarak, yet they are being slaughtered by mobs of theocratic fascists, many of whom are affiliated with the extremist political organizations seeking control through terror and mob rule.
Maybe Occupy Oakland should practice what it preaches and condemn the religious violence against a powerless minority rather than having truck with its oppressors
Maybe Occupy Oakland should practice what it preaches and condemn the religious violence against a powerless minority rather than having truck with its oppressors
Hey Von,
Of course anyone being oppressed and killed is bad and I can tell you outraged, but uhh...
No idea who the Aegyptian brotherhood is.
You cite no sources or any links, so it's hard to know what you are talking about.
Egyptian friends who are secular have told me the military rulers and their media have tried to foment sectarian violence between folks of different faiths.
I will always remember the image of Christians surrounding Muslims at prayer to protect them from the dictatorships thugs as they prayed.
peace
Of course anyone being oppressed and killed is bad and I can tell you outraged, but uhh...
No idea who the Aegyptian brotherhood is.
You cite no sources or any links, so it's hard to know what you are talking about.
Egyptian friends who are secular have told me the military rulers and their media have tried to foment sectarian violence between folks of different faiths.
I will always remember the image of Christians surrounding Muslims at prayer to protect them from the dictatorships thugs as they prayed.
peace
We are 100% volunteer and depend on your participation to sustain our efforts!
Get Involved
If you'd like to help with maintaining or developing the website, contact us.
Publish
Publish your stories and upcoming events on Indybay.
Topics
More
Search Indybay's Archives
Advanced Search
►
▼
IMC Network
