From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay Feature
Related Categories: Palestine | International
Israeli Forces Kill Female Demonstrator in Bil’in
by IMEMC & PSP reports
Saturday Jan 1st, 2011 6:47 PM
1 January 2011
Jawaher Abu Rahmah, 36, was evacuated to the Ramallah hospital yesterday after inhaling massive amounts of tear-gas during the weekly protest in Bil’in, and died of poisoning this morning. Abu Rahmah was the sister of Bassem Abu Rahmah who was also killed during a peaceful protest in Bil’in in 2009.

Doctors at the Ramallah hospital fought for Jawaher Abu Rahmah’s life all night at the Ramallah Hospital, but were unable to save her life. Abu Rahmah suffered from severe asphyxiation caused by tear-gas inhalation yesterday in Bil’in, and was evacuated to the Ramallah hospital unconscious. She was diagnosed as suffering from poisoning caused by the active ingredient in the tear-gas, and did not respond to treatment.

Jawaher Abu Rahmah was the sister of Bil’in activist, Bassem Abu Rahmah, who was shot dead with a high velocity tear-gas projectile during a demonstration in the village on April 17th, 2009.

Woman Killed After Being Asphyxiated by Tear Gas in Bil’in
Sunday January 02, 2011 00:28 by Ane Irazabal - IMEMC News

Jawaher Abu Rahma, aged 36, died on Saturday, after suffering the effects of tear gas inhalation fired by the Israeli military during the Friday weekly protest in Bil’in. Medical sources reported that the cause of the death was suffocation from tear gas chemicals mixed with phosphorus.

Hundreds of Palestinians, internationals and Israeli peace activists attended Abu Rahma's funeral in a procession through the village of Bil'in on Saturday, in which residents released a statement condemning the death.

“The loss of Jawaher Abu Rahma makes us feel more determined to continue to resist against the illegal settlements and the apartheid wall, until the residents of Bil'in achieve justice and freedom and can live in peace,” the statement underlined.

Bil'in popular committee spokesman Jonathan Pollak said in a statement that Abu Rahmah arrived at the Ramallah hospital unconscious, after being poisoned by an active ingredient in the tear gas, and doctors were unable to revive her.

“She did not die because of a lack of medical treatment, but because Israeli forces used a lethal tear gas banned in several European countries,” Pollak added.

Although several sources reported that Jawaher was taking part to the nonviolent protest on Friday, local witnesses claimed that she was not attending the demonstration, as she was in her home, approximately 500 meters away from where the gas canisters landed.

Jawaher Abu Rahma was the sister of Bassem Abu Rahma, who was also killed after being hit by a tear gas canister in 2009 during a nonviolent weekly demonstration against the Annexation Wall in Bil'in.

On Saturday, the Israeli army stated that they would investigate the death of Abu Rahma, without giving any other explanations, Ma'an News reported.

Civilian Hit by a Tear Gas Canister at Weekly Protest in Bil'in
Friday December 31, 2010 18:10 by Ane Irazabal - IMEMC & Agencies Report post

On Friday, a civilian was hit by a tear gas canister during the weekly nonviolent protest against the Annexation Wall in the village of Bil'in. Also, dozens of people were treated from the ill effects of tear gas inhalation during the demonstrations in an-Nabi Saleh and al-Ma’sara.

In Bil'in, the latest nonviolent march of 2010 was held, as has been the case for every week since 2005, despite the Israeli army blockading the village in the early morning. Israeli and international supporters managed to join the protest, after midday prayers were held.

In addition, Palestinian Prime Minister Salaam Fayyad took part in the demonstration as an action to mark the creation of Fatah political party, which was founded in 1965.

As soon as the crowd reached the wall, local youth managed to dismantle parts of it, but Israeli soldiers stationed at the nearby gate, which separates local farmers from their lands, fired tear gas in all directions.

As a result, one person was hit in the face with a tear gas canister and rushed to Ramallah for medical treatment. Many others were treated for the effects of tear gas inhalation.

It is worth mentioning that the Israeli High Court considered the path of the wall in Bil'in illegal and in 2007 ordered Israeli government to be rerouted, which could return 800 dunums* of the 2,300 dunums that have been seized to construct the wall and the nearby settlement. However, Israeli army still refuses to remove the wall.

In the nearby Nil’in village, the protest this week ended peacefully. Villagers and their supporters marched to the wall and protested for some time. The group left without confrontation from the Israeli army.

In the central West Bank village of an-Nabi Saleh, locals and internationals joined the demonstration, although many people from outside the village were prevented from entering by the military. The troops also fired tear gas and sound bombs. The protest ended later in the afternoon.

In the village of al-Ma’sara, protesters were stopped by the Israeli army at the entrance of the village, before they reached the lands taken to build the wall. Soldiers also used tear gas to force people back to the village.

*1 dunum equals approximately one quarter of an acre.
Listed below are the latest comments about this post.
These comments are submitted anonymously by website visitors.
IDF on Bil’in: spins, half-truths and liesNoam Sheizaf, +972Thursday Jan 6th, 2011 2:49 PM