View other events for the week of 1/ 4/2011
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Resistance to Drone Warfare|
|Date||Tuesday January 04|
|Time||7:00 PM - 9:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
AFSC Two Blocks from Civic Center BART/MUNI
65 Ninth Street Central Door Upstairs Front Room
San Francisco, CA 94103
|smcneil [at] afsc.org|
Everything you ever wanted to know about drone warfare but were afraid to ask. As the Pentagon and CIA continue to wage endless war, the use of unmanned planes for reconnaissance and missile attacks are increasingly the vehicle of choice.
- Find out about the current status of ACLU lawsuits on U.S. drone warfare,
- Learn the latest about drone technology and why we need to halt it in its tracks.
- Discover all the many ways drone technology is an attack on our very freedoms.
- Hear report back from recent CodePink trips to Creech and Beale Airforce Bases and the Creech 14 Trial.
- Find out about the growing collaborative drone resistance and anti-militarism campaign and be inspired to join us soon at a military base near you! Monthly Beale vigils/protest already in progress: Dec. 29, Jan. 18.
Singer/songwriter Betsy Rose will lead us with inspirational singing throughout the evening. Learn the latest drone resistance songs and sing some of our old time favorites.
Michael Thurman, IVAW member and ex-military who was stationed at Beale AFB, the northern California control center for the main intelligence gathering drone, the Global Hawk. Michael will give us a perspective from an insider's experience.
Cindy Sheehan, Peace activist and mother of Casey Sheehan, who was killed in the Iraq War. Cindy has been outspoken and active in the citizen resistance to drone warfare. Cindy will discuss the need for collaboration in the peace movement to build organized, ongoing, sustained protests at military bases to encourage war resistance and to halt drone warfare.
Refreshments included. Donations welcome
Sponsors: Bay Area CodePink, Grandmothers Against War, AFSC SF, Peace Center of Nevada County and Sacramento VFP