From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Related Categories: East BayView other events for the week of 11/ 9/2010
|Oakland - Intro to New Oakland R(A)dical Venue|
|Date||Tuesday November 09|
|Time||8:00 PM - 10:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
AK Press Warehouse
674-A 23rd. St.
|oakspace2232 [at] gmail.com|
THIS IS A CALL OUT to anarchists and antiauthoritarians from all stripes and from far and wide to come and learn about the event venue and café project currently underway in West Oakland. A group of us have been working for some time to open a new events venue, café, community center, and organizing space in a beautiful 8500 sq ft three-story building. We believe this ambitious project has the capacity to fulfill many needs that the radical community and the local community currently have (such as a large place to organize publicly as anarchists, a hub where various projects can network, an anti-authoritarian run venue, a place for community gatherings, etc). We also see the potential for the space to help catapult new yet to be developed projects into the future by providing free or cheap space for allies.
Learn about our dream:
• Our mission and points of unity
• The physical space itself
• Our anti-authoritarian spokescouncil organizing structure
• The events and café collectives, and projects already interested in utilizing the space (free school, marital arts, event security, National Lawyers Guild, Copwatch, People’s Grocery, community groups and utilization)
• Other opportunities for new collectives, organizations, and individuals
• Other ideas and visions (community mural project and billboard)
• How we plan to make the space financially self-sustaining
• Current status of making the project a reality (lease agreement, non-profit status, and fundraising)
• And of course:
THIS IS AN APPEAL for mutual aid from you and your networks. We are asking for large donations and/or monthly donations because the project will take $15,000 to get off the ground. We take this project seriously, and we want to be perfectly clear that this event will be a serious appeal for funds. Donations can take the form of large donations, monthly donations, and pledges (waiting for 501c3 tax deduction). We'll need your help to get this amazing project started.
Of course this event at AK Press is FREE and anyone regardless of resources is invited to learn about the project.
Hope you can make it out!