Dear Friends and Fellow Abolitionists,
Despite the fact that there are multiple unresolved legal issues surrounding the lethal injection procedure, the state of California is pushing to rush and restart executions next week. The California Department of Corrections (CDCR) is pushing forward with plans to execute Albert Brown on September 29th at 12:01am.
We ask "why?" Jerry Brown, Attorney General who is also running for governor, is "demanding" that this execution take place. Is this just a political move to score points during election season? We do not know if the courts will intervene to stop this. But we do know this: Their attempt is an aggressive move and we need to organize to stop this. There are many lives at stake, because they want to execute Albert Brown and then move on to the other prisoners out of appeals, which includes Kevin Cooper.
What can you do?
1. Flyer - we have an action flyer attached - please distribute this far and wide. If you can pass out copies at your school, event, neighborhood please do. If you need copies, please call 510-333-7966 to make arrangements.
2. Take action - go to http://www.deathpenalty.org/executionalert
- there is an easy form set up to send letters to the editor of your local newspaper. You can also send a fax and e-mail to Attorney General Jerry Brown, telling him to stop seeking executions!
3. Help with outreach - we want to get as many people involved right away. See below for one event where we will be doing outreach. We will also be taking flyers to visitors at San Quentin over the weekend. If you know of other events that we should be doing outreach at, or if you can volunteer to do outreach at your school, in your community, at a BART station, etc. please contact us at 510-333-7966 or california [at] nodeathpenalty.org
4. Prepare to protest - if the execution is not halted, be prepared to protest at San Quentin, Note that if it is halted in advance this action may be cancelled. There are also protests in Sacramento and Southern California - see the above website for those locations.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28TH
(execution scheduled for shortly after midnight on the 29th, so we protest beginning on the 28th)
PRESS CONFERENCE at 3pm/RALLY at 8pm
EAST GATE OF SAN QUENTIN PRISON
You can park on Francisco Blvd. E. but expect to walk 1.0-1.5 miles to get to the East Gate of San Quentin.