View other events for the week of 7/20/2010
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|The BP Spill & Big Oil: Teach-in and training|
|Date||Tuesday July 20|
|Time||4:30 PM - 9:30 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
La Pena Cultural Center
3105 Shattuck Ave
Free—donations appreciated. Food will be provided.
- Rose Braz, Center for Biological Diversity. Since the BP explosion, the Center’s decisive action and in-depth investigating have exposed massive government corruption and lax environmental review, leading to major media exposés and six lawsuits to secure a full cleanup and wildlife protection.
- Antonia Juhasz, Director of Global Exchange's Chevron Program. Antonia will have just returned from the Gulf, meeting with impacted communities and groups. She is an organizer with True Cost of Chevron Network, and the author of The Tyranny of Oil: The World's Most Powerful Industry--And What We Must Do To Stop It.
- Lindsay Imai, Urban Habitat's Transportation Program, advocating for affordable, reliable, and racially and economically just public transit system in the Bay Area.
- Carla Perez, Movement Generation Justice & Ecology Project and Mobilization for Climate Justice West.
MC: Ana Orozco, Communities for a Better Environment
Join us for a teach in on:
- Impact of the disaster on Gulf communities and eco-systems.
- BP/big oil's handling and grassroots responses to the spill
- Real causes of the spill and the other disastrous impacts of big oil, including in the Bay Area.
- How we can mobilize in the Bay Area to resist BP, big oil and their environmental and climate pollution.
- Positive solutions we can organize for in the Bay Area to end our dependence on fossil fuels and corporate capitalism.
4:30 to 6:30pm: Nonviolent Direct Action Training: Same location (La Pena), before Teach-in:
Prepare for upcoming mass actions to resist BP/Big Oil and for climate justice (Sunday, August 29th will be a National/Bay Area mobilization-- Save the date!)! A free and open to the public workshop on the basics of nonviolent direct action, how it works and how to keep our power in confrontations with authorities before, during and after actions. Please come on time and stay for the whole time.
Training sponsored by Mobilization for Climate Justice West.
Teach-In Sponsored by: Mobilization for Climate Justice West & The Center for Biological Diversity