NVCD BART Action Civil Disobedience Training
Sunday April 04
(Non-Violent Civil Disobedience)
Sun., April 4th, 2-5pm
1658 12th Street, Oakland
Non-Violent Civil Disobedience Training for April 8th Action to Hold BART Police Accountable
While attending the training is not mandatory for participating in the action, everyone interested in supporting the action is recommended to be there - no matter if you and your group will be taking on a red, yellow, or green role. It is not only important to fully understand the planning to date, but to also be well versed in the principles and tactics of NVCD such as strategic non-violence, de-escalation, and passive resistance. Even if you've attended such trainings before, it never hurts to take a refresher before big actions.
How can you help and prepare for the action?
There are plenty of things you can do:
- Inform Yourself: Learn more about the murder of Oscar Grant on January 1st, 2009, the cover-up, and the community's ongoing attempts to hold those at BART responsible. Read comprehensive coverage of the movement for Justice for Oscar Grant at Indybay.org.
- Outreach: if you are a member of a local social justice organization, are on email lists, or have access to phone lists, let others know about the importance of this action. Make announcements at events, or invite us to speak to your group. Talk to people in person. Hand out fliers in public locations. Tell people about the OaklandforJustice.org website. Download the flier to print and share.
- Form an Affinity Group of trusted friends committed to participating in the action.
- Attend the April 3rd Spokescouncil meeting, or send affinity group representatives.
- Get prepared by attending the Non-Violent Civil Disobedience training. Also, consider careful planning with your affinity group.
- Participate on April 8th. There are a variety of roles anticipated to make the action successful, from those who choose to participate in civil disobedience to those who choose to leaflet, document the action with video or photographs, liasons to corporate media, legal observers, and other support.
Added to the calendar on Thursday Apr 1st, 2010 6:19 PM
We have a great opportunity here to get some training performing in a legal observers and/or legal support role for actions.
These skills transfer, and its extraordinarily important for people to have these in any direct action where arrest is a possibility. All of us who have taken an arrest or citation thus far have benefited from people who have these skills contributing them at the spur of the moment, without being formally asked, and often at the last minute and at great inconvenience to them. So its time for folks to step up and pick up our own slack.
If you've been interested in learning how to legal observe and/or do legal support, please come to this teach-in.
If you are interested in the BART action for justice for Oscar Grant, there will be a spokescouncil immediately following
the legal training (see: http://www.oaklandforjustice.org