From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay Feature
US to hold 50 Guantanamo prisoners indefinitely
The US Justice Department has determined that nearly 50 of the remaining 196 detainees at the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba are to be held indefinitely, without charges or trial, according to a front-page article published Friday by the Washington Post.
The Post reports that the decision is the result of a case-by-case review of the remaining Guantanamo prisoners by a Justice Department-led task force set up by President Obama last year. The detainees have been held under barbaric conditions and subjected to torture, most of them languishing in the prison camp for eight years. The Post report cites unnamed administration officials, who spoke of the task force’s conclusions in advance of the public release of its report.
News of the decision came on the one-year anniversary of Obama’s signing of an executive order to close the infamous prison at Guantanamo. That pledge was announced with great fanfare on the second full day of the new administration as evidence that Obama would reverse the Bush administration’s legacy of criminality and contempt for democratic rights. It has not been carried out.
Instead, Obama is keeping Guantanamo going while he works to open a military prison on US soil, rightly called “Guantanamo North” by its critics, to which those detainees not repatriated to their home countries or to other countries are to be kept, either to be jailed indefinitely or tried before military tribunals. Others, newly captured in the so-called war against Al Qaeda, and other “extremists” are to be thrown into the new military prison, which the administration plans to set up in Thomson, Illinois.
These moves expose Obama’s pledge to close Guantanamo as an empty gesture, designed to refurbish the image of the United States around the world while his administration continues the police-state methods of Bush.
Read More
For more information:
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2010/jan2010/...
Add Your Comments
Comments
(Hide Comments)
WASHINGTON — A recommendation by a US government agency for an indefinite detention of dozens Guantanamo detainees is drawing rebukes from civil liberty groups for turning pledges to close the detention camp into empty words.
"Just as important as closing the prison quickly is closing it right,” Anthony Romero, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), said in a statement cited by the BBC News Online on Saturday, January 23.
“And that means putting an end to the illegal policy of indefinite detention without charge or trial."
A Justice Department-led task force recommended Friday to release 110 Guantanamo detainees and prosecuting 35 others in federal and military courts.
The panel, formed to study how to deal with the detainees before the camp closure, also suggested holding the remaining 50 detainees indefinitely.
More
"Just as important as closing the prison quickly is closing it right,” Anthony Romero, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), said in a statement cited by the BBC News Online on Saturday, January 23.
“And that means putting an end to the illegal policy of indefinite detention without charge or trial."
A Justice Department-led task force recommended Friday to release 110 Guantanamo detainees and prosecuting 35 others in federal and military courts.
The panel, formed to study how to deal with the detainees before the camp closure, also suggested holding the remaining 50 detainees indefinitely.
More
For more information:
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satelli...
We are 100% volunteer and depend on your participation to sustain our efforts!
Get Involved
If you'd like to help with maintaining or developing the website, contact us.
Publish
Publish your stories and upcoming events on Indybay.
Topics
More
Search Indybay's Archives
Advanced Search
►
▼
IMC Network