View other events for the week of 8/19/2009
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Stop Destroying Medi-Cal and Healthcare For Poor and Working-Class Californians!|
|Date||Wednesday August 19|
|Time||9:00 AM - 11:00 AM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
|Federal Building, 450 Golden Gate Ave, betw. Polk and Larkin Sts.|
|mlyon01 [at] comcast.net|
Stop Destroying Medi-Cal and Healthcare
For Poor and Working-Class Californians!
Demonstration: Wednesday, August 19, 9 AM
Federal Building, 450 Golden Gate,
Between Polk and Larkin
Health advocates are suing California to restore Medi-Cal patients’ so-called “optional benefits.” OPTIONAL FOR WHOM? Ask the 2.5 million Medicare recipients living on less than $1,000 per month, if it’s OK to lose these services!
• Is it OK to lose your teeth and not be able to eat right, because of no dental care?
• Is it OK for diabetics to loose feet and legs, because of no foot care?
• Is it OK to not have glasses or loose your sight, because of no eye exams?
• Is it OK not to hear your family or friends, because of no hearing testing?
• Is it OK for victims of stroke, or MS to become mute, because of no speech therapy?
• Is it OK for troubled people to become badly mentally ill, because of no psychologists?
Where will this stop? Already 900,000 kids will be denied medical care. Already there are severe cuts to Community Clinics, HIV/AIDS Prevention and Treatment Programs, Maternal, Child and Adolescent Care, IHSS, Regional Centers, Child Welfare Service Program, Mental Health, and Adult Day Care.
Many of these cuts are permanent. The current budget crisis is only an excuse to permanently tear away the social safety net we spend decades fighting for!
The Governor and Legislature give corporations and the rich billions in tax breaks, while forcing cuts that will kill us! No More! Make the Bosses Take the Losses!
Join Gray Panthers and other groups to demand restoration of the Medi-Cal optional benefits and other vital health and human services.
Call 415-215-7575 for more info.