View other events for the week of 8/14/2009
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Today's Multicultural Classroom: Cultural Competency for Educators|
|Date||Friday August 14|
|Time||2:00 PM - 2:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
Quan Yin Training Center
2311 8th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
|melissa [at] stirfryseminars.com|
As schools continue to change, what are some of the new skills and new perspectives that will be needed to meet the challenges of a more diverse population? What are some of the fears about having to change? What will be required to adapt to these new cultures?
In this unique workshop and training, participants will learn that cultural competency requires an awareness of cultural differences, cross-cultural communications skills, community development and an understanding of social issues and contexts.
Through the use of films, personal stories, and experiential exercises, participants will learn:
* Ways to interpret and make use of new emotions and modes of communication
* How to notice the intent and impact inherent in all our communications
* How to listen to what is being said and what is not being said
* A variety of ways to create a sense of community when confronted by a diverse population
* How to ask culturally appropriate questions
* The importance of listening and responding
* How to mediate conflicts that are cultural in nature
* Exploring, culturally, what is needed and what is not
* Different methods that can help in creating a sense of community between diverse groups and individuals.
* How to enhance your observational and listening acuity by learning how to translate non-verbal messages into meaningful interventions.