View other events for the week of 6/14/2009
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Date||Sunday June 14|
|Time||7:00 PM - 8:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
Community Television of Santa Cruz at 816 Pacific Ave.
Live audience guests are welcome!
FOCUS: AFGHANISTAN - CTV Channel 27 - Sunday June 14th, 7-8PM
Voices from the Village,
Sunday June 14th, 7-8 PM
Santa Cruz Community Television, Channel 27
The award winning TV show, Voices from the Village, will feature a live panel discussion called FOCUS: AFGHANISTAN this Sunday evening, June 14th, from 7-8PM, on Santa Cruz Community Television, Channel 27.
Hear panelists* Professor Glynn Wood from the Monterey Institute of International Studies, Afghan Immigrant Masood Miya, and Peace Activist Sherry Conable discuss questions like:
1) What are the likely outcomes of President Obama's new strategies in Afghanistan?
2) What are the justifications for the military buildup and what effects might it have?
3) How are the Afghan people feeling and responding, both to the current effects of the build-up, and to the new commitments to rebuild infrastructure?
4) Where do our California representatives in the federal government stand on this?
4) How does this new strategy relate to the "war on terror"?
5) What are our responsibilities as United States Citizens, and as Citizens of the Global Community, in this situation?
This is a live show and calls are taken from viewers during the second half. The number to call is 831-425-8844.
Dr. Glynn Wood is currently a Professor of International Studies at the Monterey Institute of International Studies. Prof. Wood was provost of The Monterey Institute from 1980 to 1997. Before coming to Monterey, he was on the faculty of the American University in Washington DC for 10 years. In 1998 he was a visiting professor at Colombo University in Sri Lanka.
In addition to his academic career, Dr. Wood has been a newspaper reporter, a Cultural Officer with the U.S. Information Agency in Lebanon, Afghanistan and India, and was South Asian Chairman for the U.S. State Department's School for Area Studies at the Foreigh Service Institute.
Masood Miya is an Afghan immigrant, and a local business owner, living in Santa Cruz. He is a former member of the Afghanistan Olympic Wrestling Team, and lived for many years in areas controlled by the Taliban.
Sherry Conable has been an outspoken advocate and organizer for peace, and an end to the wars in both Afghanistan and Iraq, since October of 2001. She travelled in Afghanistan as a young adult.
Voices from the Village is produced by Charlie Phillips, and moderated by Louis Lafortune. It has won a number of prestigious awards at Community Television of Santa Cruz County!
Voices from the Village, Sunday June 14th, 7-8 PM
CTV of SC, Channel 27
call in # 831-425-8844