From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay FeatureRelated Categories: East Bay | Police State & Prisons View other events for the week of 4/ 9/2009
|Confront the BART board of directors!|
|Date||Thursday April 09|
|Time||8:30 AM - 11:30 AM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
|Kaiser Center, 20th Street Mall 344 20th Street, 3rd Floor, Oakland, CA|
|Organizer/Author||No Justice No Bart|
|nojusticenobart [at] gmail.com|
Join No Justice No BART in confronting the Board of Directors of BART at their regular meeting. The meeting starts at 9AM but well be meeting earlier downstairs. BART needs to hear how the people are feeling about the fact that its been 4 months and there has been NO ONE held accountable at BART for the coverup of Oscars Murder or for the brutality and civil rights violations that preceded his murder!
Why do this now? BART just filed a response to the civil lawsuit in court, and they claim that no one (except, "possibly", Mehserle, who made a "tragic error") did anything even a slight bit wrong, and that use of force was justified!
Keep in mind, that after the shooting, none of the ACTIONS of the police or the STATEMENTS BART made suggest it was a "tragic error". All of what they did indicated that they were trying to say as little as possible about what had really
happened, and cover it up by confiscating evidence, and suggest that the murder was justified. That's not what you do in response to an accident. Keep in mind, they are even now paying Meyers Nave law firm hundreds of thousands to investigate whether anyone did anything wrong, and that investigation is not even near completion! We don't even need the investigation to know what is already obvious from BARTs own admissions, the court filings, and the video, which is that ALL the cops on that platform were involved and ALL of them did wrong, and BART administrator Dorothy Dugger and Police Chief Gary Gee tried (are still trying) to cover it up.
1) A full, competent, successful prosecution and conviction of former BART police officer Johannes Mehserle.
2) An independent investigation of the other BART officers present during Oscar's murder! Each individual officer involved must be named, along with a list of possible or probable violations of police policy and procedure, as well as any potential criminal liability. Upon completion of the investigation, all officers suspected of procedural violations must be fired immediately, and any officers suspected of criminal wrongdoing must be fully charged and prosecuted by the District Attorney.
3) Suspension of all officers present during Oscar Grant's murder, for the duration of any investigations into their conduct.
4) BART employees who are already known to have engaged in cover-ups, procedural wrongdoing, and abuse of authority must resign, or be fired immediately. This includes:
- BART Police Officer Tony Pirone, who was videotaped violently assaulting Oscar Grant prior to his murder, as well as participating in the cover-up that followed.
- BART Police Chief Gary Gee, who attempted to cover-up the murder, and who has repeatedly failed to protect both the public and the public interest.
- BART General Manager Dorothy Dugger, who has failed in her role as supervisor of the BART police, and is complicit in the cover-up of Oscar Grant's murder.
5) The BART Board must implement and fund economic development and youth programs to repair relationships with communities of color!
6) The BART Board must abolish the BART Police, fully divesting BART of any police power over the communities it serves!
7) Protesters arrested during mobilizations for justice for Oscar Grant must be released immediately and all charges against them must be dropped.
these are our demands, and we are going to make sure they hear them loud and clear. Come on out and show your support!
NO JUSTICE NO PEACE!