From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay Feature
From Afghanistan, NATO Shells Militants in Pakistan
KABUL, Afghanistan — NATO forces in Afghanistan shelled guerrillas in Pakistan in two separate episodes on Sunday, as escalating insurgent violence appeared to be eroding the alliance’s restraint along the border.
NATO officials said they had retaliated against rocket and artillery attacks launched by militants from sanctuaries across the border in Pakistan, where they operate freely. The insurgents’ attacks, launched into Khost and Paktika Provinces, killed four Afghan civilians, at least two of them children, Afghan and NATO officials said. Casualty figures for Pakistan were not available.
The firing by NATO forces into Pakistani territory followed an American airstrike on a Pakistani border post earlier this month that killed 11 Pakistani soldiers. The Pakistani government denounced the strike, and the American government expressed regret, but it is still not entirely clear what happened.
More
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/23/world/asia/23afghan.html
The firing by NATO forces into Pakistani territory followed an American airstrike on a Pakistani border post earlier this month that killed 11 Pakistani soldiers. The Pakistani government denounced the strike, and the American government expressed regret, but it is still not entirely clear what happened.
More
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/23/world/asia/23afghan.html
We are 100% volunteer and depend on your participation to sustain our efforts!
Get Involved
If you'd like to help with maintaining or developing the website, contact us.
Publish
Publish your stories and upcoming events on Indybay.
Topics
More
Search Indybay's Archives
Advanced Search
►
▼
IMC Network
NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said that 20 rockets were fired in two separate incidents while Afghanistan's defense ministry said that 13 rockets were fired from across the borders.
More
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7011357165
The four civilians were killed when rockets landed in the eastern town of Khost after being launched from about 300 metres inside Pakistani territory, Arsala Jamal, the governor of Khost province, said on Sunday.
Eight people, most of them women, were also wounded by the rocket fire - one of three cross-border raids that took place about the same time overnight.
Pakistani officials denied the allegations.
More
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia/2008/06/200862262055691609.html
Several hundred villagers in Nangarhar Province took to the streets blaming US-led troops for the deaths.
A local official said it was not clear who killed them. The coalition said it could not confirm any civilian deaths.
US-led forces say they have killed 55 militants in clashes further south. There is no independent confirmation.
More
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7469338.stm
A father and his four-year-old son were killed when their house came under rocket fire from a US military helicopter in Khogyani district, eastern Nangarhar province, on Sunday night, Haji Zelmai, the district's administrative chief, said.
He said US forces were conducting an operation against a militant group when they mistakenly hit the villager's house.
More
http://www.topnews.in/afghans-protest-killing-two-civilians-us-forces-249206