View other events for the week of 5/21/2008
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Rally to oppose AC Transit Fare Hike|
|Date||Wednesday May 21|
|Time||3:00 PM - 4:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
|Frank Ogawa Plaza - In front of Oakland City Hall then inside to the Hearing! 14th & Broadway|
STOP THE AC TRANSIT FARE HIKE!
On May 21st AC Transit’s Board will hold a hearing on the proposed fare hike.
Youth, Seniors and the Disabled will be hardest hit by increase.
Join community, labor and faith leaders, residents, and bus riders to demand that AC Transit STOP ITS FARE HIKES and STOP ITS SERVICE CUTS.
Rally and Press Conference
May 21st 3pm
Oakland City Hall
Stay to testify at hearing at 4pm
And, register your concern by calling AC Transit at (510) 891-7293
What could the fare increase look like?
The staff-recommended proposal would increase:
• The Youth fare by 15 cents to $1/ride and the monthly pass from $15 to $28 per month
• The Senior/Disabled fare by 15 cents to $1 a ride and the monthly pass from $20 to $28 a month
• The adult fare by 25 cents to $2 a ride, and the monthly pass from $70 to $80 a month
What should AC Transit do instead?
• AC Transit should use its reserve cash to cover this year’s budget gap.
• Next year, AC Transit should work with city, county and state governments to find a permanent solution to its budget woes.
• AC Transit should no longer have second-class status to BART and the automobile. AC Transit should not have to cut service or raise fares to stay afloat.
For more information or other ways to get involved visit: http://www.urbanhabitat.org/farehike
or contact Lindsay Imai 510-844-1191 or
Bob Allen 510-839-3716