Direct Action to Stop the War http://www.actagainstwar.net
Nonviolent Direct Action Group Joins Dockworkers and Immigrants: Calls for end to the war and no more targeting of immigrants and Latinos to enlist
Group will hold creative protests at military recruitment and ICE offices
WHAT: On May 1st, Direct Action to Stop the War (DASW) will protest at the military recruitment center and Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in San Francisco. DASW will join in solidarity with immigrants and ILWU dockworkers, in calling for an end to the war and an end to targeting immigrants and Latinos to enlist in the war as a fast track to citizenship. On May 1st, dockworkers in the International Longshore and Warehouse Union are stopping work at West Coast ports and calling for an end to the war. DASW will join with their march and then amplify dockworkers' call with a protest at the recruitment center. DASW will also support immigrant rights groups with a protest at the ICE office and by participating in their rally and march demanding amnesty.
WHEN and WHERE: Thursday, May 1, 2008 in San Francisco
• 12:30-2:30 PM -- DASW will march from Justin Herman Plaza to protests at the Armed Forces Recruiting Center (670 Davis St. at Broadway, San Francisco) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (630 Sansome St. at Washington St., San Francisco).
Other events DASW will participate in on May 1st:
• 10:30 AM -- DASW will join with hundreds of dockworkers as they march from their stop-work meeting to a rally. March will depart from Beach St. at Mason St. in San Francisco along the Embarcadero to Justin Herman Plaza.
• Noon -- Dockworkers (ILWU) will rally at Justin Herman Plaza
• 12:30-2:30 PM – March to Armed Forces Recruiting Center and Immigration and Customs Enforcement offices. See above.
• 2:30 PM -- DASW will join with thousands of immigrants in San Francisco at the immigrant rights rally and march. Dolores Park (18th St. at Dolores, San Francisco)
WHO: Direct Action to Stop the War is a decentralized network of individuals and organizations committed to ending the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. The May 1st actions are in solidarity with ILWU dockworkers who are shutting down the West Coast ports and immigrant rights groups marching for amnesty on International Workers Day. For more information about DASW and the San Francisco action, see http://www.actagainstwar.net