Santa Cruz IMC
Indybay
Indybay
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Indybay
Regions
Indybay Regions North Coast Central Valley North Bay East Bay South Bay San Francisco Peninsula Santa Cruz IMC - Independent Media Center for the Monterey Bay Area North Coast Central Valley North Bay East Bay South Bay San Francisco Peninsula Santa Cruz IMC - Independent Media Center for the Monterey Bay Area California United States International Americas Haiti Iraq Palestine Afghanistan
Topics
Parking, Protest and Security on Science Hill
by ~Bradley (bradley [at] riseup.net)
Friday Dec 21st, 2007 8:41 PM
On December 21st, security guards at the Physical Sciences Building diligently watched over the parking lot on Science Hill where tree-sitters have been occupying Coast Redwoods since November 7th in protest of UCSC's Long Range Development Plan. Someone up in the cluster of trees dubbed "Tree 1" confirmed what Grrr reported in a comment on SC-IMC, that on December 20th, two carloads of cops accosted the Raging Grannies in the parking lot and then arrested a young woman who allegedly attempted to climb a tree. Despite UCSC's recent actions against perceived protesters, people continue to bring bags of supplies to either the base of the trees or directly to the sitters in the platform high above the ground.

The parking lot and trees are slated to be replaced by a highly-controversial Biomedical Sciences building, the first project under the University's plan to develop 120 acres of forest in order to accommodate 4,500 new students by 2020. The Biomedical Sciences building will have no allotted classroom space, despite ongoing complaints about overcrowded class sizes. However, it will have room for live animal experimentation, which includes practices such as food/air deprivation, infection, and non-anesthetized surgery, according to campus guidelines.
parking-lot_12-21-07.jpg
UCSC students and community members are planning to be under the trees on the night of December 22nd in celebration of the winter solstice.

Ways to find out more information include going to Science Hill and checking Santa Cruz Indymedia.
§"Tree 1"
by ~Bradley Friday Dec 21st, 2007 8:41 PM
tree1_12-21-07.jpg
§"Tree 2"
by ~Bradley Friday Dec 21st, 2007 8:41 PM
tree2_12-21-07.jpg
§A Climber Ascends "Tree 3"
by ~Bradley Friday Dec 21st, 2007 8:41 PM
climber_12-21-07.jpg
§Climber 2
by ~Bradley Friday Dec 21st, 2007 8:41 PM
climber2_12-21-07.jpg
§Climber 3
by ~Bradley Friday Dec 21st, 2007 8:41 PM
climber3_12-21-07.jpg
§Security Guards Inside the Physical Sciences Building
by ~Bradley Friday Dec 21st, 2007 8:41 PM
security_12-21-07.jpg
§Manager of the Physical Sciences Building
by ~Bradley Friday Dec 21st, 2007 8:41 PM
psb-manager_12-21-07.jpg
When asked her opinion of the tree-sit, the manager of the Physical Sciences Building replied, "You do not want to know my opinion."
I received the following email. It concerned me so I want to clarify and make the email and my reply public. See below:

On Dec 21, 2007, at 10:06 PM, [name intentionally omitted] wrote:

Hi Bradley:

I often read and occasionally post to santa cruz indymedia. I was a bit stunned just now when I looked at your photo essay and saw a picture of my colleague (the chemistry department manager one at the bottom). She is one of the most decent and kind people I have met, and one of the few in that building who has retained her humanity. She is also active in the community. Please don't make her a target.

Many thanks.

[name intentionally omitted]

-----------------
My Reply:
----------------

Hey [name intentionally omitted],

Thanks for the email. I included her photo and a quote, that's all. I'm not sure what you mean by don't make her a target. I don't mean to spread any ill will towards her.

I'm concerned that you interpreted it this way. I hope you have a nice holiday break.

sincerely,
bradley
accountabilityonlookerSunday Dec 23rd, 2007 7:03 PM
I've had enough of thiscmbSaturday Dec 22nd, 2007 11:21 PM
ok cowboybradSaturday Dec 22nd, 2007 11:21 PM
Completely out of boundsRedwood CowboySaturday Dec 22nd, 2007 10:27 PM
Well, by that logic, you weren't sprayed by a UCSC police officer.-Saturday Dec 22nd, 2007 1:21 PM
replies to -bradSaturday Dec 22nd, 2007 12:32 PM
Brad isn't stupid, so I'll suggest his post is disingenuous-Saturday Dec 22nd, 2007 11:25 AM

donate now