From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay Feature
City Presents “Plan” for Halloween in the Castro
Friday, October 12, 2007 : With Halloween just three weeks away with no sanctioned party, the City has been vague about how to deal with thousands of people who may still come to the Castro. After the Police – and most city agencies – did not attend a recent meeting of anxious neighbors, the Police Commission held a hearing on October 10th to find out what plans the City has for the “non-event.” Frankly, the answers are not encouraging.
Besides a PR campaign telling people to “stay home,” the plan is to make the Castro so intimidating on Halloween that people won’t want to come. More cops will be on patrol, probationees are told they’ll be arrested if they come, the Muni stations will close early, and there will be no parking on Market or Castro. But while you can shut down a party, you can’t stop people from walking into the neighborhood. And while the City’s tactics may divert the majority of law-abiding citizens who usually come to the Castro, it may have the opposite effect on people who are there to cause trouble – attracting exactly the wrong kind of crowd.
“The decision to cancel Halloween has already been made,” said Police Commission President Theresa Sparks, “and that’s not why we’re here tonight. We are here to find out what the plans and preparations are.” The Mayor’s Office, the Police Department, the Fire Department, Muni and other agencies were all on hand to say they had detailed plans that had been worked on for several months – all the while ignoring the fact that they’ve left the neighborhood out of the planning process.Read More
“The decision to cancel Halloween has already been made,” said Police Commission President Theresa Sparks, “and that’s not why we’re here tonight. We are here to find out what the plans and preparations are.” The Mayor’s Office, the Police Department, the Fire Department, Muni and other agencies were all on hand to say they had detailed plans that had been worked on for several months – all the while ignoring the fact that they’ve left the neighborhood out of the planning process.Read More
For more information:
http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?...
Add Your Comments
Comments
(Hide Comments)
It is utterly amazing that anyone who claims to be concerned about the serious issues we face, namely poverty, lack of a national healthcare system, the growing openly fascist federal government and its torture, prisons, wars, death penalty and refusal to deliver our tax dollars to us for all our social needs, the horrifying racism that exists in this society, the bankrupt school system that only educates 1/3 of the students and is filled with horrors ranging from hanging nooses to arresting students and tasering students for no good reason whatsoever, the refusal to ban tasers and pepper spray, the lack of affordable housing for all, and much more, continues to harass all websites possible about a children's candy promotion event, namely Halloween. Those of us who were A students know that we never went out on school nights (this year's stupidity is on a Wednesday), that we gave no thought at all to Halloween after age 10 as this nonsense is for children, that candy is poison for the teeth and the metabolism and this concept should be taught to all by age 6, and that maintaining our priorities is always important. We also did not waste time on attending any garbage on non-school nights; we had our hobbies, family activities and long-term school projects to occupy our time. As to those over age 18, we are either working or attending school or both, and have many activities including families, hobbies, and just plain need of rest at night to have no time for any Halloween garbage. Apparently, the lawyer running beyondchron.org who is promoting the Halloween garbage is doing so for the same reason as San Francisco Chronicle does so, to take our minds off the issues of the day that mandate our immediate and urgent attention. We need to see more articles on the San Francisco 8 trial where the judge is still allowing the false confessions as "evidence," on the poisoning of the black community of San Francisco'S Bayview Hunters Point by the Newsom-Pelosi-Lennar gentrification gang currently opposed by mayoral candidate Ahimsa Sumchai who is not mentioned in beyondchron.org's story on the 10/11/07 mayoral forum, on the illegal giving of psychotropic drugs to immigrants awaiting deportation against their will, on the police state that exists in the workingclass schools instead of education, on the outrageous fact that the majority of the San Franicsco School Board members support teaching war, namely JROTC, instead of teaching peace, namely guaranteeing that all public schools have the same educational offerings and standards as Lowell High School for grades 1-12 and guaranteeing that there are preschools for all San Francisco children ages 3-5, the urgent need to abolish the death penalty and prisons in California and to promote rehabilitation instead, the fact that Mumia Abu-Jamal is still in prison, much less death row, for some 26 years despite the fact that he is innocent, the economic crisis in this country with its low wages, high cost of living and much more. This insistence on promoting the Halloween garbage is either a deliberate smokescreen or is mental illness.
We are 100% volunteer and depend on your participation to sustain our efforts!
Get Involved
If you'd like to help with maintaining or developing the website, contact us.
Publish
Publish your stories and upcoming events on Indybay.
Topics
More
Search Indybay's Archives
Advanced Search
►
▼
IMC Network