'Civilians dead' in Nato air raids
Many civilians are said to be among hundreds of civilians reportedly killed in air raids by Western forces in the Afghan southern province of Helmand. Residents told journalists women and children were among up to 300 people killed in the raids on Thursday in the remote district of Baghran, which lies to the north of Lashkar Gah.
Afghan authorities said on Friday they were checking the reports and Mohammad Hussein Andiwal, Helmand's police chief, said that at least 20 wounded civilians had been brought to a main hospital in Lashkar Gah, the provincial capital.
"I can confirm there were heavy bombardments," Andiwal told Reuters by phone from Helmand.
"We have heard of heavy casualties too and have sent a team to investigate this."
Read MoreGet Involved
If you'd like to help with maintaining or developing the website, contact us.
Publish
Publish your stories and upcoming events on Indybay.