From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay Feature
Four killed in Kabul blast
A suicide bomber has killed three civilians and a policeman near Afghanistan's parliament in Kabul.
Police said four other people were wounded in the blast early on Friday.
Police had stopped the bomber in his car when he blew himself up, a policeman at the scene said.
The attack was the third suicide blast in the heavily-secured city this year amid a raging insurgency by the Taliban, ousted by US-led forces in late 2001.
General Alishah Paktiawal, the Kabul criminal investigation police chief, said the bomber struck a few hundred metres from the parliament building.
"It was a suicide bombing. Four people were killed and four others were injured. The bomber was driving a yellow and white taxi," Paktiawal said.
He said it was unclear if the bomber was targeting the parliament building. "An investigation is under way," he said.
Iraq-style suicide attacks are common in southern Afghanistan, where the insurgency is at its strongest, but rare in Kabul.
Four civilians were killed and another 12 wounded when a suicide bomber targeted an intelligence director's vehicle in Kabul on March 28. The intelligence official survived.
About a week earlier a suicide attacker rammed an explosives-filled car into a US embassy convoy in the capital, wounding five embassy staff and guards and at least three passers-by.
In the deadliest attack in Afghanistan this year, more than 20 people including two Americans and a South Korean soldier were killed on February 27 in an attack on the main US base at Bagram, about 60km from Kabul, while Dick Cheney, the US vice president, was visiting.
The Taliban has vowed a wave of such blasts this year after nearly 140 last year across the country killed about 200 civilians and scores of Afghan and foreign security officials.
New Taliban gains
Meanwhile, more than 100 Taliban fighters seized control of a district headquarters in the southern province of Zabul early on Friday, the provincial governor's spokesman said.
The Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), which has tens of thousands of troops in Afghanistan, said it was checking the information.
The "seizure" of the district comes at the same time as a massive offensive launched last month by ISAF and the Afghan army in nearby Helmand province, where rebels have held a small town for nearly two months.
More
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/700F19B9-AF11-446A-A2EC-0D1AC21437FC.htm
Police had stopped the bomber in his car when he blew himself up, a policeman at the scene said.
The attack was the third suicide blast in the heavily-secured city this year amid a raging insurgency by the Taliban, ousted by US-led forces in late 2001.
General Alishah Paktiawal, the Kabul criminal investigation police chief, said the bomber struck a few hundred metres from the parliament building.
"It was a suicide bombing. Four people were killed and four others were injured. The bomber was driving a yellow and white taxi," Paktiawal said.
He said it was unclear if the bomber was targeting the parliament building. "An investigation is under way," he said.
Iraq-style suicide attacks are common in southern Afghanistan, where the insurgency is at its strongest, but rare in Kabul.
Four civilians were killed and another 12 wounded when a suicide bomber targeted an intelligence director's vehicle in Kabul on March 28. The intelligence official survived.
About a week earlier a suicide attacker rammed an explosives-filled car into a US embassy convoy in the capital, wounding five embassy staff and guards and at least three passers-by.
In the deadliest attack in Afghanistan this year, more than 20 people including two Americans and a South Korean soldier were killed on February 27 in an attack on the main US base at Bagram, about 60km from Kabul, while Dick Cheney, the US vice president, was visiting.
The Taliban has vowed a wave of such blasts this year after nearly 140 last year across the country killed about 200 civilians and scores of Afghan and foreign security officials.
New Taliban gains
Meanwhile, more than 100 Taliban fighters seized control of a district headquarters in the southern province of Zabul early on Friday, the provincial governor's spokesman said.
The Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), which has tens of thousands of troops in Afghanistan, said it was checking the information.
The "seizure" of the district comes at the same time as a massive offensive launched last month by ISAF and the Afghan army in nearby Helmand province, where rebels have held a small town for nearly two months.
More
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/700F19B9-AF11-446A-A2EC-0D1AC21437FC.htm
We are 100% volunteer and depend on your participation to sustain our efforts!
Get Involved
If you'd like to help with maintaining or developing the website, contact us.
Publish
Publish your stories and upcoming events on Indybay.
Topics
More
Search Indybay's Archives
Advanced Search
►
▼
IMC Network
Police say they had stopped the bomber at a checkpoint when he blew himself up. No one has claimed responsibility although the Taliban has been blamed for similar assaults recently. There was little traffic in Kabul at the time of the explosion as the city largely shuts down on Fridays - the Muslim holy day. Many analysts expect fighting this year to be even worse than last - 2006 was the bloodiest year in Afghanistan since the Taliban were ousted in 2001.
See Video:
http://euronews.net/index.php?page=info&article=415518&lng=1
They died when the vehicle they were travelling in hit an explosive device, a statement from Nato's International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) said.
One other soldier was injured. The nationalities of the dead and injured have not yet been released.
This is the worst single incident for the Nato force in Afghanistan for several months.
Worst year
An Isaf spokeswoman told the BBC there had been no civilian casualties and that all signs pointed to the Taleban.
More
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6537545.stm