View other events for the week of 2/14/2007
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Support the San Francisco 8|
|Date||Wednesday February 14|
|Time||9:00 AM - 11:00 AM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
|Dept 12, 850 Bryant Street, San Francisco!|
|Event Type||Court Date|
Attend the next court date scheduled for Wednesday, February 14th, 9:00 am, Dept 12, 850 Bryant Street, San Francisco!
From the Talking Drum Collective
February 2007 Action Alert - Free The 8 Panther Vets On Lockdown
ASSATA SPEAKS! FEBRUARY 2007 ACTION ALERT
Title: FREE THE 8 PANTHER VETS ON LOCKDOWN
Time Frame: UNTIL VICTORY IS WON!
Plan of Action: Make phone calls, write letters, attend hearings/meetings/rallies, broadly distribute information, provide financial support and resources towards the struggle for the release of 8 senior citizen Freedom Fighters.
Eight former Black Panthers were arrested January 23, 2007 in California, New York and Florida on charges related to the 1971 killing of a San Francisco police officer. Similar charges were thrown out after it was revealed that police used torture to extract confessions when some of these same men were arrested in New Orleans in 1973. Richard Brown, Richard O'Neal, Ray Boudreaux, and Hank Jones were arrested in California. Francisco Torres was arrested in Queens, New York. Harold Taylor was arrested in Florida. Two men charged have been held as political prisoners for over 30 years Herman Bell and Jalil Muntaqim are both in New York State prisons. A ninth man -- Ronald Stanley Bridgeforth is still being sought. The men were charged with the murder of Sgt. John Young and conspiracy that encompasses numerous acts between 1968 and 1973.
Harold Taylor and John Bowman (recently deceased) as well as Ruben Scott (thought to be a government witness) were first charged in 1975. But a judge tossed out the charges, finding that Taylor and his two co-defendants made confessions after police in New Orleans tortured them for several days employing electric shock, cattle prods, beatings, sensory deprivation, plastic bags and hot, wet blankets for asphyxiation.
Purpose of Action: Let the world know of this federal witchhunt, harassment and kidnappings, as proof that this government will terrorize and torture freedom fighters, even in their senior years, to continue their war against those who dared to ever take a stand for the people.
Bail Hearing and Arraignment
Set for Feb. 14, 2007
The first court hearing for the four defendants who live in California-Richard Brown, Hank Jones, Richard O'Neal, and Ray Boudreaux-was held in San Francisco Superior Court on January 29, 2007. They are presently being held on bail of $3 million to $5 million each (!). Their arraignment and a bail reduction hearing was carried over until February 14 at 9:00 a.m.
The Superior Court is at 850 Bryant Street in SF.
How you can make a difference today:
1. Attend the arraignment and bail reduction hearing on Valentine's Day at San Francisco Superior Court. These men need to get bailed out, which is impossible with the present absurd bail amounts.
2. Write these Brothas and ask them what their specific needs may be (i.e. commissary, books, etc.). We must support them and let their captors know that they have folks on the outside looking out for them.
3. Stay posted on ongoing developments and Action Alerts by subscribing to cdhrsupport's e-mail list (address below) as well as websites in solidarity with these men.
Bro. Herman Bell
# 79C-0262, Sullivan Correctional Facility, Box 116, Riverside Drive,
Fallsburg, New York 12733-0116
Bro. Ray Boudreaux
2301300, 850 Bryant Street, San Francisco CA 94103.
Bro. Richard Brown
2300819, 850 Bryant Street, San Francisco CA 94103.
Bro. Henry (Hank) Jones
2301301, 850 Bryant Street, San Francisco CA 94103.
Bro. Jalil Muntaqim (Anthony Bottom), # 77A4283, Auburn Correctional Facility, 135 State Street, P.O. Box 618, Auburn, NY 13024
Bro. Richard O'Neal
2300818, 850 Bryant Street, San Francisco CA 94103
Bro. Harold Taylor
#07-00944, 5600 Nehi Road, Panama City, FL 32404
Bro. Francisco Torres,
#349071576, 1515 Hazen Street, East Elmhurst, NY 11370.
(taken from http://www.cdhrsupport.org/)
Goals and Outcomes
1. To make the release of these men a global issue.
2. To expose this government's campaign of terror against hundreds of U.S. political prisoners, prisoners of war, and exiles.
1. To achieve full acquittal of all charges on these freedom fighters, and completely clear Bro. John Bowman's name in connection with this.
2. To raise the demand for amnesty for all US freedom fighters by building an even stronger movement!
CHECK THESE WEBSITES REGULARLY!:
http://www.cdhrsupport.org/ (sign up for e-mail list!)