View other events for the week of 11/ 3/2006
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Color, Voz y Baile- Day of Dead|
|Date||Friday November 03|
|Time||4:00 PM - 6:30 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
|Watsonville Downtown Plaza on Main Street - next to the farmer's market|
Watsonville, CA – November 3rd 2006, La Coalición por Nuestra Cultura, invites the public to participate in the community forum and fiesta “Color, Voz y Baile” – this month commemorating the Day of the Dead.
• The White Hawk Indian Council will open the event with a traditional blessing and danza
• The folkloric dance troupe Semillas de Esperanza will carry you off to the traditions of Veracruz, México with their colorful dances
• Sangre Antigua will fill the deepest fibers of the heart with joy as they take you on a diverse musical journey down the paths of our latinamerican pueblos
• Esperanza del Valle will honor the lives of our ancestors in a traditional and communal danza, encouraging the public to participate
• The Spanish students, members of the Club Latino, and MSA (Migrant Student Association) from Pajaro Valley High, will have you laughing your socks off with their traditional and contemporary Calaveras
• Community artists and organizations with create altars in honor of the spirits of their departed loved ones. Community members are invited to bring photos, mementos, or flowers to place on the altar
• Miguel Zafra, local photographer for social justice, will present a slide show of a Day of Dead celebration in the mixteco communities of Oaxaca
This is the fourth in a series of exciting cultural and educational events that will be presented the first Friday of every month. Please distribute this information and join us at the Watsonville Plaza, November 3rd, 4 pm.
This event is possible thanks to our community sponsors: Community Alliance for a Sustainable Economy, Migrant Education Region XI, The Citizenship Project, El Pajaro Community Development Corporation, Hospice Caring Project, YWCA and La Manzana Community Resources.
La Coalición por Nuestra Cultura is a community based volunteer organization working toward community participation and development through visual art, music, dance, theatre, and the spoken word. We invite all local artists, community members and organizations to participate in this and future events.