From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay Feature
Protests over Ecuador count delay
Tensions are mounting in Ecuador as the result of Sunday's presidential vote is awaited amid allegations of fraud.
A "quick count" carried out by the Brazilian firm E-vote suggested there would be a run-off election between Alvaro Noboa and Rafael Correa.
But that count was halted with only 70% of the ballots processed, and the official count could take up to a week.
Supporters of Mr Correa have been protesting outside the electoral tribunal, accusing it of fraud.
Supporters of some of the other 11 candidates have also been protesting against the delays in counting and alleged irregularities.
Many of the protesters are demanding the resignation of the members of the tribunal.
The head of an observer mission from the Organization of American States said on Sunday that his team had not seen any irregularities
More
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6057808.stm
But that count was halted with only 70% of the ballots processed, and the official count could take up to a week.
Supporters of Mr Correa have been protesting outside the electoral tribunal, accusing it of fraud.
Supporters of some of the other 11 candidates have also been protesting against the delays in counting and alleged irregularities.
Many of the protesters are demanding the resignation of the members of the tribunal.
The head of an observer mission from the Organization of American States said on Sunday that his team had not seen any irregularities
More
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6057808.stm
We are 100% volunteer and depend on your participation to sustain our efforts!
Get Involved
If you'd like to help with maintaining or developing the website, contact us.
Publish
Publish your stories and upcoming events on Indybay.
Topics
More
Search Indybay's Archives
Advanced Search
►
▼
IMC Network
Alvaro Noboa, a billionaire banana magnate, had won 26.7 per cent of the votes counted from Sunday's vote and will likely face Rafael Correa, a left-wing former economy minister who won 22.5 per cent, in a second round vote on November 26.
However, counting had to be suspended on Sunday with only 70 per cent of the ballots counted, after a vote-counting system that cost $5m broke down.
On Monday, election officials sacked E-Vote, the Brazilian company responsible for the system.
Correa had been leading in the early count before the computers crashed. Once counting resumed, Correa found himself behind and cried foul.
Chavez criticism
"We won," he said, accusing his rival and election authorities of fraud. "The people are being cheated".
Hundreds of protesters gathered and chanted outside the election tribunal's offices, some demanding a new election.
Meanwhile, the conservative Noboa said Correa's ties with Hugo Chavez, the Venezuelan president, and Cuba would lead to his defeat.
"The people have just given the biggest lashing you can give to a friend of terrorism, a friend of Chavez, a friend of Cuba," Noboa said.
More
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/8E88FACA-9534-4044-9924-2BEE378BCEA7.htm