$36.00 donated in past month
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay FeatureRelated Categories: Afghanistan | International
'Many killed' by Afghan car bomb
At least 21 people have been killed in a car bomb attack on a market in southern Afghanistan, officials say.
At least 13 people were injured in the attack, which took place in the southern province of Kandahar.
Earlier this week, UK and Canadian-led Nato forces took control of military operations in southern Afghanistan from US-led coalition troops.
The area is a stronghold of the Taleban and hundreds of people have been killed there in fighting in recent months.
"There was a suicide attack in Panjwayi bazaar. Twenty-one civilians, including children, were killed and 13 others were injured," interior ministry spokesman Yousuf Stanizai is quoted as saying by AFP.
A Nato spokesman said a convoy of Nato troops was moving through the area when the attack took place, but was unaffected.
"They were close enough to hear the blast," the spokesman, Maj Scott Lundy, told the Associated Press news agency.
It is not clear if they were the target.
Earlier on Thursday, a Canadian soldier with Nato died in Kandahar when a bomb hit his vehicle. Another Nato soldier was wounded, the alliance said.
And local officials said 10 Taleban fighters were killed by Afghan and Nato forces in the neighbouring Helmand province, during a raid on a Taleban hideout.