top
US
US
Indybay
Indybay
Indybay
Regions
Indybay Regions North Coast Central Valley North Bay East Bay South Bay San Francisco Peninsula Santa Cruz IMC - Independent Media Center for the Monterey Bay Area North Coast Central Valley North Bay East Bay South Bay San Francisco Peninsula Santa Cruz IMC - Independent Media Center for the Monterey Bay Area California United States International Americas Haiti Iraq Palestine Afghanistan
Topics
Newswire
Features
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay Feature

"Aspirational Rather than Operational" - 7 Arrested in Miami Terror Plot

by Democracy Now (reposted)
Seven men were arrested in Miami last week on charges of conspiring to blow up the Sears Tower in Chicago and FBI buildings in five cities. It appears the entire case rests on conversations between the group's supposed ringleader and an FBI informant posed as representative of Al-Qaida. We go to Miami to speak with a defense attorney and a community advocate.
On Thursday evening, government officials raided a warehouse in the Liberty City section of Miami and arrested seven men, charging them with conspiring to blow up the Sears Tower in Chicago and FBI buildings in five cities. The men are Narseal Batiste, Patrick Abraham, Stanley Phanor, Naudimar Herrera, Burson Augustin, Lyglenson Lemorin, and Rotschild Augustine. They range in age from 22 to 32 and were indicted by a federal grand jury in Miami on Friday.

Five of the men are U.S. citizens, one is a legal immigrant from Haiti and the last is an undocumented immigrant originally from Haiti. The men are charged with two counts of conspiring to support a foreign terrorist organization, one count of conspiring to destroy buildings by use of explosives and one count of conspiring to wage war against the government. Each faces a maximum sentence of 70 years.

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales announced the details of the case at a press conference on Friday.

* Alberto Gonzales, attorney general speaking June 23, 2006.

Family and community members have expressed shock at the charges and point out that no weapons or explosives were found nor did investigators document any links to Al-Qaida. It appears that the entire case rests on conversations between Narseal Baptiste, the supposed ringleader of the group and the FBI informant, who was posing as a representative of Al-Qaida. John Pistole, the FBI's deputy director, described the plan on Friday as "aspirational rather than operational."

* David O. Markus, Defense Attorney and president of the Miami Chapter of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He is founder of David Oscar Markus law firm, which focuses on criminal trials and appeals.
* Max Rameau, member of Miami CopWatch which is a project of the Center for Pan-African Development.

LISTEN ONLINE:
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/26/1349235
§Al-Qaeda Wannabes Had Little Means to Carry Out Plot
by New American Media (reposted)
While the seven “brothers” arrested last week for plotting to blow up the Sears Tower in Chicago and a federal building in Miami had the will to kill, they had little means to carry it out, government officials said.

“This group was more aspirational than operational,” said FBI Director John Pistole, speaking in a news conference Thursday, a day after federal agents swarmed a warehouse in the poor, mostly Black section of Miami known as Liberty City and cut down a large metal door with the blowtorch. The group allegedly used the warehouse as headquarters.

The seven men charged in the plot — ages 22 to 32 — thought they had hooked up with al-Qaeda but were actually conspiring with an FBI informant, according to the Feds. Five are U.S. citizens, one is a legal immigrant from Haiti and the other is a Haitian national who was in this country illegally.

A four-count indictment handed up Thursday named Narseal Batiste as the ringleader, saying he had recruited and trained the alleged co-conspirators beginning in November 2005 to “wage war against the United States government” and to level the buildings.

According to the indictment, Batiste met several times in December 2005 with the informant, who claimed to be an al-Qaeda member, and asked for combat boots, uniforms, machine guns, radios, vehicles and $50,000 to help carry out their deeds. He even boasted that his terrorist acts would “be just as good or greater than 9/11,” the indictment says.

The Men Were ‘Brothers’ Not Terrorists

But friends and family of the seven men say they are not involved in any terrorism.


More
http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=0856a55f61f5bbd8d392f8ca8a1fc509
Add Your Comments
We are 100% volunteer and depend on your participation to sustain our efforts!

Donate

$135.00 donated
in the past month

Get Involved

If you'd like to help with maintaining or developing the website, contact us.

Publish

Publish your stories and upcoming events on Indybay.

IMC Network