View other events for the week of 5/13/2006
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Y Fest 2006|
|Date||Saturday May 13|
|Time||12:00 PM - 5:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
A beautiful outdoor space across from the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero. Bart to the Embarcadero station …see website for directions and details: http://www.yfest2006.org
What is Y Fest?
• A rally/festival celebrating the power Bay Area youth have, as individuals and collectively, to make a difference in local, national and global issues.
• A day of music, spoken word, art, and speeches to celebrate the fact that young people are not the problem, but instead a critical part of the solution to problems faced by our community and world. All performers are local youth!
Why Y Fest?
• The name “Y Fest” was invented last year by a group of high school students who were organizing the event. The Y stands for both Generation Y and Youth.
• The point is to celebrate and bring attention to the positive contributions that young people can and are making in the world. We want to inspire more youth to take action and draw media attention to all the good things that youth are doing - provide a positive youth-news story to counter the far too many negative ones that are out there!
Who will be there? Who should go?
• Anyone and everyone can attend Y Fest. It is FREE. The focus is people who are 21 and under, but all are welcome. The artists, poets & musicians are from Bay Area high schools and youth organizations – we are still recruiting, so if you would are interested in performing, email: email@example.com
• There will be booths with food, information on organizations that work with young people or want youth help, and youth-made items for sale (t-shirts/CD’s...).
• This is the 2nd Y Fest. The first one was last year at Civic Center Plaza. It was a really fun day that drew about 1,500 people – mostly youth. This year, we expect even more people to be there!
When is Y Fest?
SATURDAY, MAY 13TH, NOON – 5PM
Where is Y Fest?
JUSTIN HERMAN PLAZA, San Francisco – A beautiful outdoor space across from the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero. Bart to the Embarcadero station …see website for directions and details: http://www.yfest2006.org
How to get involved:
We are recruiting volunteers to help with the day! Volunteers receive a t-shirt and free lunch and can receive community service hours for helping out. To sign up, email: firstname.lastname@example.org