View other events for the week of 9/ 8/2005
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|New Orleans Style Funeral Procession|
|Date||Thursday September 08|
|Time||3:30 PM - 8:30 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
|Powell & Market, SF assemble|
|Organizer/Author||World Cant Wait|
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -
from THE WORLD CAN’T WAIT! DRIVE OUT THE BUSH REGIME!
Event: New Orleans Style Funeral Procession Date: Thursday Sept. 8 2005
Place: Powell & Market , San Francisco Time: 3:30 PM
Contact: Ken: at (415) 354-6335, Ken17762003@yahoo.com
Stephanie Tang: (415) 290-8448, email@example.com
Stop The Mass Murder Through Negligence Now Going On
in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast! Rescue, Not Repression!
The World Can’t Wait! Drive Out the Bush Regime!
A New Orleans style funeral procession will take place on Sept. 8th to bring these demands to the Bay Area. World Can’t Wait! is issuing these demands because these are the needs of the people whose lives have been devastated not only by the natural disaster of Katrina, but by the horrific aftermath due to the criminal negligence of the Bush administration and Congress.
The procession will begin at Powell and Market with all the style of a New Orleans funeral procession (black umbrellas, music, dancers, pictures of victims and banners and signs). The following demands will be taken to the streets of San Francisco and the world.
The World Can’t Wait! Demands:
1) All the people still in New Orleans and the other devastated areas must be immediately and safely rescued and evacuated before any more needless deaths occur due to government criminal negligence. The massive resources of government--the ships, helicopters, and transport planes--must be immediately put at the disposal of the rescue effort.
2) The people should be housed in decent places and their needs must be immediately met.
3) People who are attempting to meet their basic needs must NOT be shot down or arrested! Bush's zero tolerance orders must be withdrawn immediately. Government should meet all expenses involved in getting food, water, medicine, and other basic needs to people immediately.
4) The censorship of people in New Orleans and other devastated areas must immediately cease, and people must be allowed to tell what is actually going on.
5) The full truth of what happened and how this came to be, including the deep responsibility of the Bush administration, must be immediately made known, and those responsible up to the very highest levels must be held accountable.
6) Volunteer rescuers should be assisted and supported, and not repressed by government agencies, police, and national guard.
People are dying on the streets of New Orleans. This is criminal! The natural disaster of Hurricane Katrina was magnified by the culpability of the Bush administration and Congress for cutting $71 million from the budget for levees and for other environmental policies that contributed to the devastating floods that were predicted and could have been prevented. Scientists agree that global warning has had a direct impact on the severity of this hurricane. The Bush Regime has refused repeatedly to sign the Kyoto Protocols to stop global warming.
Bush's callous refusal to end his vacation even as the hurricane was killing people and the terrible devastation was happening is outrageous. What is going on in New Orleans is in no small part a concentrated example of how this administration views and treats Black people, thousands of whom were left without the resources to evacuate, and were not immediately rescued. Bush’s mother summed up this attitude stating of the evacuees who went to the Houston Astrodome, “And so many people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them.”
Billions of dollars and huge resources, including massive transport and medical capabilities, are being devoted to slaughtering people in Iraq, while people are dying in New Orleans for lack of these same resources.
- 30 – 30 – 30 – 30 -