View other events for the week of 9/ 2/2005
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Protest non response to Hurricane Katrina|
|Date||Friday September 02|
|Time||4:00 PM - 6:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
|Powell & Market St, SF|
|Organizer/Author||World Cant Wait|
ALERT - EMERGENCY DEMO TODAY, FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 2nd - 4pm
JOIN US AT POWELL & MARKET - SAN FRANCISCO
BRING SIGNS, NOISE MAKERS -
STOP THE MASS MURDER THROUGH NEGLIGENCE NOW GOING ON IN NEW ORLEANS AND THE GULF COAST!
RESCUE, NOT REPRESSION! - THE WORLD CAN'T WAIT! DRIVE OUT THE BUSH REGIME!
World Can't Wait Demands: Action Alert--
1. Mobilize FRIDAY at your Town Square or Fed Bldg! Get out with signs demanding Drive OUT the Bush Regime!
2. Call the radio talk shows and talk about the 3 demands above. Tell people about the birth of The World Can't Wait this weekend.
1) All the people still in New Orleans and the other devastated areas must be immediately and safely rescued and evacuated before any more needless deaths occur due to government criminal negligence. The massive resources of government--the ships, helicopters, and transport planes--must be immediately put at the disposal of the rescue effort.
2) The people should be housed in decent places and their needs must be immediately met.
3) People who are attempting to meet their basic needs must NOT be shot down or arrested! Bush's Azero tolerance orders must be withdrawn immediately. Government should meet all expenses involved in getting food, water, medicine, and other basic needs to people immediately.
4) The censorship of people in New Orleans and other devastated areas must immediately cease, and people must be allowed to tell what is actually going on.
5) The full truth of what happened and how this came to be, including the deep responsibility of the Bush administration, must be immediately made known, and those responsible up to the very highest levels must be held accountable.
6) Volunteer rescuers should be assisted and supported, and not repressed by government agencies, police, and national guard.
People are dying on the streets of New Orleans. This is criminal! The natural disaster of Hurricane Katrina was magnified by the culpability of the Bush administration and Congress for cutting $71 million from the budget for levees and for other environmental policies that contributed to the devastating floods that were predicted and could have been prevented. Scientists agree that global warning has had a direct impact on the severity of this hurricane. The Bush Regime has refused repeatedly to sign the Kyoto Protocols to stop global warming.
Bush's callous refusal to end his vacation even as the hurricane was killing people and the terrible devastation was happening is outrageous. What is going on in New Orleans is in no small part a concentrated example of how this administration views and treats Black people, thousands of whom were left without the resources to evacuate, and were not immediately rescued.
Billions of dollars and huge resources, including massive transport and medical capabilities, are being devoted to slaughtering people in Iraq, while people are dying in New Orleans for lack of these same resources.
World Can't Wait on the Bush Regime's Response to Hurricane Katrina
9-01-05 World Can’t Wait organizers speak out: IT DOESN’T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY!
For more information: call: 510-868-0819