View other events for the week of 6/21/2005
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
|Watching Big Brother Watch Us: Immigrants and Citizens Together|
|Date||Tuesday June 21|
|Time||12:30 PM - 2:30 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
Unitarian-Universalist Center, Fireside Room
1187 Franklin St (betw Geary and O'Farrell)
This is a crucial time for civil liberties and human rights.
Immigrants are being threatened by:
• Minutemen, armed border vigilantes whom the US Congress has feted and Schwarzenegger has invited to California,
• The Real ID act, making it virtually impossible to states to issue drivers licenses to undocumented immigrants, and moving the US closer to a national ID card,
• New laws making political asylum extremely difficult,
• Federal laws discouraging immigrants from using using health facilities, and
• State laws barring undocumented immigrants from receiving health or any other state services, and criminalizing state employees who fail to report undocumented immigrants.
Citizens are being threatened by:
• Adminstration moves to sneak through the perpetuation of provisions of the USA Patriot act that are due to expire at the end of this year,
• Government excercises in integrating its police, security, and intelligence forces to achieve massive roundups, such as the recent Operation Falcon, where over 10,000 were arrested nationwide over a short period of time, including over 200 in San Francisco,
• Reports of renewed Grand Jury subpoenas of political activists nationally and in the Bay Area.
Our speakers will talk about the implications of these threats, what we can do to fight them, and give examples of how people are already organizing against them.