From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Related Categories: Anti-WarView other events for the week of 5/23/2005
|Protest AIPAC Annual Convention This Monday!!!|
|Date||Monday May 23|
|Time||6:00 PM - 8:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
AIPAC, created by the Israeli government to coordinate support for Zionism in the United States, is recognized as one of the most powerful special interest lobbies in the United States. AIPAC has consistently worked to crush opposition to even the most illegal and atrocious Israeli policies in the United States, contrary many times to the will of the American people.
PERSONAL ENDORSEMENTS OF THE PROTEST
"The real cost of our so-called "strategic relationship" with Israel is not just in dollars but in American lives. AIPAC, as Israel's chief representative in Washington, promotes an agenda that undermines U.S. credibility and threatens to draw us into more needless wars in Iran and Syria."
- Former Congressman Paul Findley (R-Illinois)
"I want to send greetings to the rally confronting Sharon and AIPAC. The world should be looking for the A-bombs in Israel, not in Iran. World peace demands a nuclear-free Middle East."
- Nuclear Whistleblower Mordechai Vanunu, currently awaiting trial
The coalition of Washington DC areas groups organizing the demonstration have released an announcement included here:
We represent a wide range of Americans who call for an end to the more than $2.2 billion in tax-funded military aid given to Israel annually and ask that AIPAC join us in demanding the best of Israel, in that it should:
- End the 38-year illegal occupation of the West Bank and Gaza and the annexation of East Jerusalem and the Golan Heights.
- Tear down the “separation” wall, which the International Court of Justice ruled in July 2004 is “contrary to international law.”
- Remove all the settlements and stop all settlement construction in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem.
- Stop home demolitions and land confiscations in Israel and the occupied territories.
- Guarantee equal rights of all people living in Israel.
- Comply with international law, including the right of return for all Palestinian refugees.
- Stop threatening and promoting Israeli or American wars against Syria and Iran.
- Support peaceful efforts to remove all nuclear weapons from the Middle East, including Israel.
Action Center For Justice, Charlotte, NC
Alliance of Progressive Iranians
American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) Washington DC Area Chapter Council for the National Interest
Danbury Committee for World Peace
DC Anti-War Network
Iranian "Left Alliance of Washington"
Ireland Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Jewish Witnesses for Peace & Friends - Ann Arbor, Michigan
Justice for Palestinians Committee
Libertarians for Peace
Palestine Office - Michigan
Proposition One Committee
Stop U.S. Tax-funded Aid to Israel Now! (SUSTAIN)
The Middle East Crisis Committee
Washington Report on Middle East Affairs
Women for Peace and Justice in Iran