top
Palestine
Palestine
Indybay
Indybay
Indybay
Regions
Indybay Regions North Coast Central Valley North Bay East Bay South Bay San Francisco Peninsula Santa Cruz IMC - Independent Media Center for the Monterey Bay Area North Coast Central Valley North Bay East Bay South Bay San Francisco Peninsula Santa Cruz IMC - Independent Media Center for the Monterey Bay Area California United States International Americas Haiti Iraq Palestine Afghanistan
Topics
Newswire
Features
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay Feature

Six Palestinians killed in Israeli raid

by ALJ
An Israeli undercover unit backed by tanks and jeeps stormed the northern West Bank town of Tulkarim on Sunday night and assassinated six Palestinians, eyewitnesses and medics said.

The witnesses said the Israeli army undercover unit stormed the Jamal Abd al-Nasr neighbourhood of Tulkarim and assassinated six alleged members of the al-Aqsa Brigades, the armed wing of Arafat’s Fatah movement.

The soldiers had first entered the area disguised as local Palestinian residents, and surprised the individuals who were in a house in the neighbourhood, witnesses said.

Medics were reported as saying the undercover soldiers were assisted by uniformed soldiers who backed them by surrounding the house.

According to the reports, among those who were assassinated was Hani Uwaida, the alleged al-Aqsa Brigades commander in the northern West Bank area, adding that ambulances were seen carrying bodies and a number of injured from the area.

Israeli military on the other hand confirmed the killings, saying that the dead were all members of the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades who had been slain in a shootout with Israeli border guards.

The deaths bring to 4196 the overall toll since the launch of the Al Aqsa Intifada in September 2000, including 3199 Palestinians and 926 Israelis.

Missiles destroy home

In a seperate incident an Israeli F-16 fighter jet fired two missiles that destroyed an apartment block in Gaza City's Zeitoun neighbourhood after dark on Sunday, Palestinian security sources said.

They initially reported that the second Gaza missile strike was staged by helicopters.

A 4-year-old boy was also wounded when he fell down the steps of a neighbouring house due to the force of the blast, medics said.

The Israeli army had no comment on the raid.

The same building was attacked earlier today when rockets from an Israeli helicopter gunship hit the building which left four bystanders injured.

Witnesses said it was the home of a Hamas member.

Elsewhere in Gaza, seven Palestinians were wounded when Israeli soldiers opened fire on Khan Yunis after the rocket attack on an Israeli settlement, medics said. There are no more details of casualties from the latest attacks in the civilian area of Gaza.

Agencies
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/93AC6FC1-94EC-43C5-A6FC-281FAC6E2E5E.htm
Add Your Comments

Comments (Hide Comments)
by eb
"And another one's gone, and another one's gone...another one bites the dust". One less bell to answer, Yasser.
We are 100% volunteer and depend on your participation to sustain our efforts!

Donate

$135.00 donated
in the past month

Get Involved

If you'd like to help with maintaining or developing the website, contact us.

Publish

Publish your stories and upcoming events on Indybay.

IMC Network