From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay Feature
5 Dead In Baghdad Blast. Deputy Interior Minister Abdul-Jabbar Youssef al-Sheikhli Injured
At least five people have been killed and several injured in a suspected suicide car bomb attack in Baghdad.
The blast occurred outside the home of one of Iraq's three deputy interior ministers, Abdul-Jabbar Youssef al-Sheikhli, who was among those injured.
He received head and chest injuries, but is in a stable condition, a ministry official said.
The head of the US-appointed Iraq Governing Council, Ezzedine Salim, died in an car bomb last week.
Destruction
Some members of Mr Sheikhli's family were also reported injured and the dead are said to have included a number of his bodyguards.
The BBC's Caroline Hawley in Baghdad says that all senior Iraqi officials are accompanied by teams of security guards, but if indeed this was a suicide car bomb attack, there is little they can do to defend themselves.
Saturday's blast destroyed several cars and left debris the street strewn with debris.
A Reuters correspondent described bodies lying in a garden near the blast site, covered in blankets.
Ambulances arrived quickly at the scene, along with US soldiers and Iraqi police.
It is the second bomb attack on an senior Iraqi official in less than a week.
Our correspondent says there are fears among Iraqis and coalition members that in the run-up to the handover of authority on 30 June there could be more of the same.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3737963.stm
He received head and chest injuries, but is in a stable condition, a ministry official said.
The head of the US-appointed Iraq Governing Council, Ezzedine Salim, died in an car bomb last week.
Destruction
Some members of Mr Sheikhli's family were also reported injured and the dead are said to have included a number of his bodyguards.
The BBC's Caroline Hawley in Baghdad says that all senior Iraqi officials are accompanied by teams of security guards, but if indeed this was a suicide car bomb attack, there is little they can do to defend themselves.
Saturday's blast destroyed several cars and left debris the street strewn with debris.
A Reuters correspondent described bodies lying in a garden near the blast site, covered in blankets.
Ambulances arrived quickly at the scene, along with US soldiers and Iraqi police.
It is the second bomb attack on an senior Iraqi official in less than a week.
Our correspondent says there are fears among Iraqis and coalition members that in the run-up to the handover of authority on 30 June there could be more of the same.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3737963.stm
Add Your Comments
We are 100% volunteer and depend on your participation to sustain our efforts!
Get Involved
If you'd like to help with maintaining or developing the website, contact us.
Publish
Publish your stories and upcoming events on Indybay.
Topics
More
Search Indybay's Archives
Advanced Search
►
▼
IMC Network